My first build - where to start

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Patrick Hanna

Re: My first build - where to start

Post by Patrick Hanna »

Hi, Joel. Let me assure you that, as you get into the process of making your guitar, it'll turn out to be just as intriguing and fun as you imagine it to be! The intimidation factor is mostly in one's imagination. Taken one step at a time, all the many processes are very manageable and satisfactory results are achievable. Sure, as you work, you'll be mindful of how each part relates to the other parts, but you take them one step at a time (for instance, joining the top plates) and the many processes don't seem nearly so daunting. Your first instrument will probably take a bit longer than you anticipate, because you'll probably make a series of jigs, fixtures, molds or other tools as you move along. Actually, I find that making those things are among the most satisfying steps for me. As for the actual difficulty of making a guitar, I think you'll surprise yourself at what you can accomplish. (Now....making a GREAT instrument is another matter. That's something we all want to do, but relatively few of us accomplish.) But I'll bet you can make a guitar that is attractive, playable and satisfying, and that will get a tremendous "gee whiz" response from friends who can't imagine how you could do such a thing. And if you're like the rest of us, you will immediately start thinking about trying to build a better one, or one that is cosmetically different, or whatever. You already have a bunch of people out here who are rooting for you. Best of luck!
Len McIntosh

Post by Len McIntosh »

Joel, one other thought, somthing I wish I had done, keep a journal, with as much information as possible, such as helpful website or threads. Details on each build such as thicknesses, materials, special facts etc. wish I had such info from earlier builds.
Also tracking dollars spent and time taken can be usefull.
Mike Ryan

Post by Mike Ryan »

I started about your age and I wish I had bought more books and bit the bullet and taken a class with someone to build one. I have now built about 15 acoustics and still feel like a beginner but my new parlor guitars are going surprising well so maybe I have learned a thing or two.
Also, having the proper tools especially for lutherie I think is important. It just makes it easier and less likely to make mistakes. And YOU ARE starting late. According to a 40 year experience luthier here, I am too old to start.
I am ignoring him.
However, about the tools, if you are one of the especially talented ones who can make a smashing instrument with just your teeth and a swiss army knife, more power to you.. I am not one of those. I love my specialized luthier tools and hope to buy more. I would like to get the slot head jig from LMI for my parlor guitars.
Jim Kirby

Post by Jim Kirby »

Joel Brown wrote:Dennis - After reading more about Alaskan yellow cedar it seems it is more related to cypress than cedar, so I guess it does make sense for good back and sides. The same is true for Port Orford cedar. I have heard Spanish cedar is hard to get but there is some coming out of Turkey.
There are several highly reputable dealers from Turkey selling Spanish Cypress (rather than cedar) - it is really the way to go as material sourced out of Italy is just too expensive now. (I'm not sure that any of it is coming from Spain at this point.) I've gotten all of my Cypress from Turkey, and it has been cheaper than the Alaskan Yellow cedar that I've acquired. I like both woods.
Jim Kirby

Post by Jim Kirby »

Mike Ryan wrote:I started about your age and I wish I had bought more books and bit the bullet and taken a class with someone to build one. I have now built about 15 acoustics and still feel like a beginner but my new parlor guitars are going surprising well so maybe I have learned a thing or two.
Also, having the proper tools especially for lutherie I think is important. It just makes it easier and less likely to make mistakes. And YOU ARE starting late. According to a 40 year experience luthier here, I am too old to start.
I am ignoring him.
However, about the tools, if you are one of the especially talented ones who can make a smashing instrument with just your teeth and a swiss army knife, more power to you.. I am not one of those. I love my specialized luthier tools and hope to buy more. I would like to get the slot head jig from LMI for my parlor guitars.
Good to ignore him.

The LMI slot head jig is close to being my favorite specialty tool. I build classical guitars, and I'd hate to be without it.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Another vote for ignoring.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Stephen Neal Saqui

Post by Stephen Neal Saqui »

Just want to jump in here with a couple of things. Flamenco guitars are made with Spanish Cypress, difficult to get, however, there is Monterey Cypress on the West coast and with some digging you could probably find some. The cypress is part of the brassy sound known in flamenco guitars. Unless you want a "Negra" which a lot of the solo players use and they're made with rosewood and have a more classical sound...with some brass.

I like that you seem to be avoiding a kit guitar. Build the whole thing!
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

Les Stansell from Oregon makes flamenco guitars of Port Orford cedar (a cypress). They both look and sound very good.
Jim Kirby

Post by Jim Kirby »

Stephen Neal Saqui wrote:Just want to jump in here with a couple of things. Flamenco guitars are made with Spanish Cypress, difficult to get, however, there is Monterey Cypress on the West coast and with some digging you could probably find some. The cypress is part of the brassy sound known in flamenco guitars. Unless you want a "Negra" which a lot of the solo players use and they're made with rosewood and have a more classical sound...with some brass.

Mediteranian Cypress is not hard to get, you just have to shift eastward to the Turkish suppliers. All my Cypress is from Akustikwood, also check out Octopus. The species grows everywhere in the Mediterranian, its just not sourced readily from the western end of it anymore. (I believe places like LMI are getting theirs from sources in Italy - this costs several times what it costs from Turkey at this point.)
Stephen Neal Saqui

Post by Stephen Neal Saqui »

Jim Kirby wrote:
Stephen Neal Saqui wrote:Just want to jump in here with a couple of things. Flamenco guitars are made with Spanish Cypress, difficult to get, however, there is Monterey Cypress on the West coast and with some digging you could probably find some. The cypress is part of the brassy sound known in flamenco guitars. Unless you want a "Negra" which a lot of the solo players use and they're made with rosewood and have a more classical sound...with some brass.

Mediteranian Cypress is not hard to get, you just have to shift eastward to the Turkish suppliers. All my Cypress is from Akustikwood, also check out Octopus. The species grows everywhere in the Mediterranian, its just not sourced readily from the western end of it anymore. (I believe places like LMI are getting theirs from sources in Italy - this costs several times what it costs from Turkey at this point.)

Jim, thanks for the info. I have a friend who's a luthier in Turkey. I'll contact him, see if he can ship me some Mediterranean cypress.
I also have some big boards of Monterey Cypress. I haven't made it into sets yet. I plan on making some flamenco's with it.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”