Reverse classical tuner head design

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Dennis Weaver

Reverse classical tuner head design

Post by Dennis Weaver »

I got the recent Acoustic Guitar magazine (Jan 2015 even though we are just about to go into Dec.) in the mail and noticed "Rodrigo Y Gabriela" playing their Yamahas.
Note that the peg head (or tuner head?) is wider between slots nearest the nut and gets narrower toward its end. This is the way I made my 3rd guitar back in the 90s.

If you think about it, that is smartest because the strings D and G do not have to go outward at a big time angle. I am not saying this is the route I want to stay on but my Number 7th build will be approaching and I want to try that route again.

BTW. This is my first post so I don't think I broke any rules mentioning brands or companies, and just saying some aspects of guitar it is good to say- They do it that way - WHY, oh because they just always did it that way, or what is actually best?

Oh and another reason- is I have a few sets of Rubner tuners, and Rubners are a bit longer than others so the holes need to be deeper and if I do the peghead this way I can leave some more wood in between the slots nearby the nut.

-Den
Alan Carruth

Re: Reverse classical tuner head design

Post by Alan Carruth »

I used to use reverse taper on my heads too. The problem is getting the geometry just right, so that the strings don't hit inside edges of the slots.
Douglas Ingram

Post by Douglas Ingram »

With the Rubner's you can trim the barrels.
I may be crazy...but I'm not insane.
Dennis Weaver

Post by Dennis Weaver »

Thanks and Thanks. I got two sets of Rubners. I like non engraved ones. Less is more to me.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”