Number 100!

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Bob Gramann

Number 100!

Post by Bob Gramann »

Instrument #100 just got its strings (and it sounds pretty good, too). This one has Osage Orange back and sides, an Engelmann top, Macassar Ebony bridge and fingerboard, EIR peghead and bindings, and a Khaya neck. It's my Rappahannock model, about the size of an OM.
100back.jpg
100front.jpg
100rosette.jpg
100tail.jpg
It's been nearly 23 years since #1.
Len McIntosh

Re: Number 100!

Post by Len McIntosh »

Understated elegance, really nice.

I'm about to start #15 with the full expectation of the usual hiccups and shoulda coulda's. it hasn't got easy yet.

Any tips from a centenarian? Or better yet maybe the single most important thing building 100 guitars may have taught.

I'd invite any other "GC s" (guitar centenarians) to share.
Randy Roberts

Post by Randy Roberts »

Bob,

Are you sure you didn't buy that one? I don't see any neon yellow dust anywhere in any of the pictures <g>.

She really has a beautiful shape to her. Nice job on the design. And thank you for mitering the black on the end graft, that always drives me nuts when it just chops across the top. Really nice guitar.

And I'm sure she sounds wonderful with the Osage.

Congratulations.
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

100, quite an accomplishment! Good on ya, Bob. I hope I can reach even a tenth of that number.
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Very nice Bob. Beautiful guitar. I assume you cut the Osage yourself. May you have at least 100 more in ya.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

Thank you all for noticing. To answer Len: There isn't one thing that I've learned. It seems like there are hundreds of them, many things learned again many times. I cheated on that end graft mitering. I ran the purfling all the way around under the binding. There where it met the tail, I drilled out the black and inserted a white piece. If I can't find a simple way to do something, I usually can't do it.

I met a guy at a party years ago who asked me about where I got my wood. The conversation led to me stating that I really wanted some Osage Orange. He said he had two large trunks that had been laying in his farm field for about 30 years. His hobby at the time was milling wood and he owned a Woodmizer. He cut them up for me. I will soon have to go to three piece backs after I use all that was suitable for the two piece backs. I love the wood.

I sure would like to do another 100.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Great looking guitar Bob! Congrats. That is a cool story about the wood, too. I have some of it myself, and I really like it too. I recently tried an idea that I saw someone post here about baking the Osage Orange, and it turns a much darker brown. It looks pretty good too! Makes a good fingerboard.
http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3309
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

I've used it for two fingerboards so far and I am quite happy with it in that application. I baked the last one. It did darken it and seemed to make it much lighter. I wish I had weighed it before and after. I've tried Persimmon for a fingerboard, as well. The two I have tried moved a lot with the weather. I need to do it once more with Persimmon from a different tree. If that one moves, it will be Osage Orange from now on when I want a domestic fingerboard.
Michael Lazar

Post by Michael Lazar »

Exquisite work. I built my 100th in 2012. Spruce top, 40 year old flitch matched Brazilian Back/Sides, Spanish Cedar Neck. The client named it "Assegai" as the pattern on the back resembled the hand made blade of an assegai which is a short handled spear used by the Zulu's in their wars during the 1800's and early 1900's.
Assegai~1.jpg
Assegai~3.jpg
Assegai~5.jpg
Assegai~6.jpg
Assegai~8.jpg
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

Wow! That is beautiful, Michael.
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

Awesome guitar Bob.
Next goal 200!
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Bob Gramann wrote:Wow! That is beautiful, Michael.
What he said ^^^^

You guys are blowing me away!
PMoMC

Nate Scott

Post by Nate Scott »

Great looking guitars Bob and Michael and congrats on the milestone!
Gilbert Fredrickson

Post by Gilbert Fredrickson »

Beautiful guitar. Osage Orange has an appeal. Does it sound like a Rosewood guitar? My #4 is sitting and waiting for me to find a shop. It is fairly semetrical and somewhat appointed.
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

To me, one of the neat things about Osage Orange is the clarity of the sound. You can strum a chord, let it hang, and pick out the individual notes in the chord. Rosewood doesn't have that separation. Overall, the tone is deep and beautiful, but it sure is easier to build with EIR.
Joe Williams

Post by Joe Williams »

That's going to be really gorgeous in a few months, as that Hedge ages to it's dark copper/orange color.
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

but it sure is easier to build with EIR
I'm curious why you said that Bob.
Now, I'm well aware that EIR is a friendly wood to build with, but I've never built a box with Osage so I don't know the pitfalls.
So ... what are the difficulties Bob??
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Yes do tell! It seems to plane well for me. Does it not like to bend, rout?
PMoMC

Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

Osage bends nicely. But, it is hard to cut. Jointing the plates is difficult because it likes to tear out with the plane. I solved this problem by using a plane with a back bevel. And, it really likes to chip out when I rout the binding ledges. I work down through the bearings to the final depth. Sometimes, it cuts perfectly, but most of the time, I have to repair the edge somewhere. And, it dulls a carbide saw blade pretty fast. Other than that, it's a wonderful wood.
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

Thanks Bob - Good info!

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”