CAN YOU IDENTIFY GRANDMA'S PARLOR GUITAR?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Harmon Gladding

CAN YOU IDENTIFY GRANDMA'S PARLOR GUITAR?

Post by Harmon Gladding »

Please see the sketch at https://www.facebook.com/harmon.gladding of this parlor guitar's soundhole showing the remains of the blue-green label. Grandma was born in 1874 and probably used the guitar in the middle 1890's or later. It has mahogany sides and back, butternut-like 12-fret neck (17 total), slotted headstock with rosewood veneer, white top binding. Thanks for any info you can provide.
Michael Lewis

Re: CAN YOU IDENTIFY GRANDMA'S PARLOR GUITAR?

Post by Michael Lewis »

Harmon, you are going to need more information than your sketch. Possibly the instrument can be identified if you can provide some detailed photos of the headstock both front and back, of the inside structure of teh guitar to show the shapes of braces and linings etc., side view of the headstock, and heel of the neck. And possibly detail shots of the binding and trim.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Post by Gilbert Fredrickson »

I don't know but Hopkins Smith rocks!
Harmon Gladding

Post by Harmon Gladding »

Yes, I love Hopkinson Smith's timing and phrasing. He finds life in the music. Thanks for mentionng him. Another artist who I think makes music live, although not a guitarist, is Mikhail Pletnev.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”