First Guitar! Favino style Gypsy finally!

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
DJ Parker

First Guitar! Favino style Gypsy finally!

Post by DJ Parker »

Hello Everyone,

Well, my very first Gypsy guitar is almost 100% complete. I say almost because I still have the moustache bridge to complete and the actual finishing. Truth is, I just couldn't wait to hear it and I figure what's it hurt to play it 'green' for a bit and enjoy. I must say that I was/am pleasantly surprised at the tone and no buzzing and chords sound full and I'm just excited to be finally able to call myself a guitar builder. Luthier comes later when I have a few under my belt. I have tons to learn and am by no means satisfied with this guitar in the sense that I know all of the little flaws and re-do's and such. I am however completely satisfied with my effort and each time I strum this guitar it just reinforces my commitment to build the next even better.

Specs: It is a traditional style laminated body with mahogany inside and two layers of bookmatched walnut for the outer. The neck is walnut, no truss, two pieces of aluminum for reinforcement. The top is Sitka Spruce. The headstock, bridge and tailpiece appointment Brazilian Cherry. Fingerboard Maccasser Ebony. Gotah tuners.

It has been a long time since my last post and I took to heart some of the wisdom bestowed on me by the very fine builders out there who have all given graciously of their time and expertise to a newbie. For those of you who said 'just get one built' that really struck a chord (no pun) and you were so correct. I thank you all!

A special thank you goes out to Craig Bumgarner who has shared his talent more than many times with honest, thoughtful explanations and advise taken I'm sure from his own experiences of Gypsy guitar building. He has set the bar way up there!

Now, off to number two while I figure out how to spray number one without a big fiasco!

Sincerely,

DJ Parker
Attachments
FirstGypsy1rsm.jpg
FirstGypsy1fsm.jpg
Jason Rodgers

Re: First Guitar! Favino style Gypsy finally!

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Right on! A Sel-Mac is on my long list. Nice work!
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Patrick DeGreve

Post by Patrick DeGreve »

It looks great DJ. Congrats of your first. I love walnut. The back has nice figure, and should come to life with the finish. It is going to be a beautiful guitar. Well Done!
DJ Parker

Post by DJ Parker »

Thank you so much fellows!
Craig Bumgarner

Post by Craig Bumgarner »

Lookin' Good!
Patrick Hanna

Post by Patrick Hanna »

Oh, Gosh, DJ,
That is looking sooooooo cool and fine to me! Keep the progress photos coming, please!
Patrick

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”