Tri-Cone Resonator Plans

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Eddie McRae

Tri-Cone Resonator Plans

Post by Eddie McRae »

Does anyone know where I can find a good blueprint for a tricone? I actually only need the pertinent details and specs regarding actual cone placement. I intend to use the design of the model that I currently build (biscuit) and alter it to tricone. But since I don't have a tricone to use for reference measurements, I was hoping to find a good blueprint.
Michael Lewis

Re: Tri-Cone Resonator Plans

Post by Michael Lewis »

Get the parts you need (cones, T bar, etc.) and lay them out on one of your guitars and go from there. The positioning of the T bar bridge dictates where the cones fit.
Steve Rolig

Post by Steve Rolig »

Years ago I also looked for plans for a wood body resonator - none out there. I agree with Michael, get the cones and T-bridge lay them out, then design the well that will hold the cones and then you will see how big the guitar will have to be to fit it all in. I've built 3 and was able to use a body with a 15.625 inch lower bout. Or were you going to build a metal body tri-cone? Steve
Eddie McRae

Post by Eddie McRae »

I was actually hoping to adapt the wood-body model that I currently make (pictured) to a tricone, but I think that may not be possible considering the lower bout measurement that you gave above. At any rate, thanks for the info! I'll just get all the hardware and make it workout although I'll most likely have to design a larger body shape and make new forms. Thanks!
Attachments
P9151772.JPG
Steve Rolig

Post by Steve Rolig »

You might be able to make it a little smaller - depends on the width of the walls of the well for the cones. I don't recall how thick mine are and I don't have quick access to the plans.
Steve
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

There is an Autocad drawing floating arount the web for the body only. I believe that it has some measurement errors, but is at least a good starting point. If you can't find it send me a PM and I will e-mail it to you. I've also made a dfx file which I used on our laser cutter to make a template for routing my top (you could use that to directly cut out top and back from steel or brass). I could also make a full scale PDF if you don't have autocad (you would have to have it printed at an engineering office or Kinkos). Heck, I could even print one and snail mail it to you.

I used all of this to make my woodie

http://bigroadblues.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11037

If you do the layout yourself, start with the bridge location and work to the 12th fret and nut. Some of the early Nats had the body joint at 11-1/2, I made mine at 12. Most tricones have no compensation - you can decide whether you want to build any in or not - I put a slight amount in mine but didn't angle the bridge. The other thing that is important (and not shown on my plans) is the depth of the cone well vs. the top and neck angle.

You'll also have to decide if you're going to do a neck stick or some other kind of joint. I used a simple bolt on for mine, but again, its a woodie so for metal you probably want a stick. On a resonator you do a lot of the action adjustment by setting the neck angle.

edit to add, rereading your post I realize that you want to make a woodie so forget all the stuff that I say about metal ones. You know what to do about the neck and cone well.
Eddie McRae

Post by Eddie McRae »

Thanks guys. Freeman, I searched a bit but was unable to find the drawing that you referred to. If you have a link to it, I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, I wouldn't mind having the dfx and pdf files that you mentioned if it's not too much trouble. I have a resonator and 2 acoustics in process now and as long as nothing else comes up to interfere, I'd like to get started on a Tricone design as soon as these others are completed. Thanks.
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

PM me your e-mail addy and I'll send them to you.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”