My latest build

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Paul Burnside

My latest build

Post by Paul Burnside »

Here's one I've been troubleshooting for the last 2 1/2 years. It's a clone of an Ernie Ball Earthwood bass. 6" body depth. 34" body scale. Lots of cosmetic issues with it that are consequences of correcting design flaws, but I can live with those.
Culverin1.jpg
Paul Burnside
Black Watch Musical Instruments
Plano, Texas
www.blackwatchmi.com
Paul Burnside

Re: My latest build

Post by Paul Burnside »

Soundboard closeup.
Attachments
Culverin2.jpg
Paul Burnside
Plano, Texas
www.blackwatchmi.com
Paul Burnside

Post by Paul Burnside »

3-piece mahogany/bubinga back.
Attachments
Culverin3.jpg
Paul Burnside
Plano, Texas
www.blackwatchmi.com
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Paul - that looks like a very nice job - you've hidden the cosmetic defects well (or not photographed them :) )

I remember when you were having the ball end issue, but I guess the Ernie Ball strings solved that. I like the way you've cut some relief for the right arm, and a small cutaway also - were those difficult to fabricate? Is that a second sound port in the upper bout of the bass side? I'll bet the player gets some nice feedback from that.

How does it sound, and how is the volume? Do you have any build pics, especially the bracing pattern?
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Nate Scott

Post by Nate Scott »

Very cool. I want to build an acoustic bass someday. That's an unusual bridge shape - what's the thinking there?
Josh Humphrey

Post by Josh Humphrey »

Looks great! I haven't seen the Earthwood bass- is the bridge your design? What does the shape accomplish? Ahh, so 'clone' huh- are you a homebrewer too?
Paul Burnside

Post by Paul Burnside »

Sorry for the delay in response. I'm not getting much done lately!

In answer to your questions:

Peter - the Earthwood strings did fix the problem. Their ball ends are significantly smaller. The relief cuts weren't too hard, they are pieces of white oak contoured to the side profile. I then glued black veneer to the top and side, then glued the whole piece to the side before gluing the top and back. The cutaway relief was a bit more difficult, lots of drum sanding to get that done.
I'll admit it, I stole the brace pattern directly from a 1974 'wood. I've got the bracing pattern as a CNC diagram and can send you a picture if you'd like.
I think it sounds very good. I a/b'ed it against the one I based it off of, and the sound and volume are comparable, but you can definitely tell that age improves the tone of the original.
I had it on display at the Arlington guitar show last weekend and got a lot of positive feedback on it.

Nate and Josh - the bridge shape is my design, and was intended to do a few things:
1) stabilize the top a bit by providing a bigger footprint. The Earthwoods were made as "small brace" basses, but they often had problems with the soundboards bellying, especially the earlier ones. They were also strung through the bridge, while this one is strung through the soundboard.
2) Give a place to rest the edge of your hand if using a pick
3) Provide some cosmetic flair

I don't have many construction pictures. But there are two more currently in process, I'll keep everyone apprised.
Paul Burnside
Plano, Texas
www.blackwatchmi.com
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

Paul,
Another Bass player here that is GREAT!

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”