Bending Solid Linings.

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Bending Solid Linings.

Post by Gilbert Fredrickson »

I am bending Basswood linings at .150 and not having much luck. I am using the form, slats, and heating blanket set-up I use for sides. Should I be doing these linings on the hot pipe? How do you bend your solid linings?
Mario Proulx

Re: Bending Solid Linings.

Post by Mario Proulx »

I bend mine at .220"-.230" on my bender. Same setup. I soak the linings for a couple of days, though; I have a 3' long section of 3" ABS pipe that has a fixed cap at one end and a threaded "inspection" cap at the other. In the summer, I'll cap it tightly and place it in the sun(ABS is black) to heat the water. In winter, I'll fill it with hot water. Cap it tightly and leave it for a day or two. After bending, I'll cycle them another time or two in the bender to drive-out most of the water, then tie their ends to help them hold their shape, and place them in our oven at about 220°F for 5-6 hours.

Choice of wood is critical; can't have -any- runout....
Trevor Gore

Post by Trevor Gore »

A lot of folk laminate their "solid" linings. Take the thickness you want, divide by three and bend all six taped together in a side bender. Much like bending a side. The laminate on the inside takes a tighter curve, of course, but will flex easily enough. I usually laminate them all together straight onto the sides in the mould, but you need to be able to work fast. Others laminate them off the guitar then tidy them up and glue them to the rims in one piece. Functionally, the laminated ones are likely slightly stiffer/stronger and you don't have to be quite so particular about the wood you use. If you do Venetian cutaways, you pretty much have to laminate.
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

Most of mine are indeed laminated, but the question was on how to bend solid linings...
Kary Karahadian

Post by Kary Karahadian »

I also laminate my linings. You can make glue up a little easier by thicknessing wide strips, say 3.5-4", bend individually and glue up inside a rim as Trevor suggested. Then go to the bandsaw and rip individual linings to your desired height. Does require a wide caul however.
Brad Heinzen

Post by Brad Heinzen »

I bend mine a bit thick, but as Mario said, you can't have any runout at all. I also use only well-quartered stock. I use a pipe.
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

I keep wanting to make a steam box and some solid frames to hold and dry the bent linings on. Methinks that would be as simple as it can get from there...
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

I know this is sort of off topic, but I am very soon embarking on my first acoustic build, and I am wondering about the kerfing / linings.
I have mahogany, slotted linings for this guitar bought from stewmac, and I need to know if I have to wet, or bend these.
I am assuming yes.
I don't think they are flexible enough to go around the tighter corners without bending.

Can anyone help?
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

They usually bend easily. If they crack, they are still usable.
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

The glue will wet them slightly and they'll bend more readily. If they do break, just keep clamping them; it won't show when done and won't make them less effective at their actual task...
Randy Roberts

Post by Randy Roberts »

Mario,
As to your steam box.
get a 5 gallon metal gas can, radiator hose and airplane clamps and one of the propane turkey deep fat fryer kits that are always burning down houses.

set the gas can on the propane burner clamp the hose to the spout of the can, and the other end to your box and you are set. a metal drain pipe would work for your box, if you aren't planning to do a big bunch at once.

I used this setup to steam bend some thick wood once, only in my brilliance, I used a piece of 8 inch pvc sewer pipe laid on a couple of sawhorses for the box. Got it set up and running, heard the phone ringing in the house, and, after a long conversation, forgot about the steamer.

My system will give you a really nice W shaped 2x4 but you can't get it out of the pipe. <G>

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”