Cases - got a supplier you like?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Doug Shaker

Cases - got a supplier you like?

Post by Doug Shaker »

I'm trying to design a baritone. One very sensible design constraint given to me was "Make it fit in an existing case."

Does anyone have any case suppliers that they really like working with?
-Doug Shaker
John LaCroix

Re: Cases - got a supplier you like?

Post by John LaCroix »

Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

I get TKL cases through their Cedar Creek division. They are a pleasure to work with. Since they are 80 miles from my house, I go down once a year and save on shipping. They give builders a pretty good price with a sufficient order. My baritone fits in their 8920 case. Ask for Stephanie if you call.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

You can design a 27 in S.L. baritone that will fit in a standard case. Make it 12 fret to body and cutaway if you want the extra reach.
Arnt Rian

Post by Arnt Rian »

Calton makes custom interiors for their cases to fit any guitar-like instrument up to acoustic bass size. They have a number of "shell" sizes they build them in, but essentially every case is a custom order. The cases are nearly indestructible, but heavy (and expensive!). I have been getting them from Calton UK for years, but production has recently been moved to the US. I'm getting the first one from there soon, quality is supposedly even better, lead time is down from 7-8 months to 4-6 weeks, but prices are even higher.
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

I have had Cedar Creek build cases to fit my odd ball guitars (like a 26.5 scale 12 string). They are slow, expensive and in my opinion, worth it.
Paul E Buerk

Post by Paul E Buerk »

Lots of good choices, although it bugs me that many suppliers don't provide interior dimensions. SKB is an exception, and they have a series of reasonably nice ATA cases.

If I absolutely had to make another custom case, I think I'd just go straight to building a flight case. Get some extrusions, handles, hinges, etc. and just bite the bullet.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

When building cases I go in the other direction. I like to use 1/2 inch pine and 1/8th inch plywood. I build them similar to the old coffin case construction. It makes a reasonably light weight case that is moderately protective. Not as strong as a modern case and not nearly as tough as a flight case, but fairly easy to construct and with reasonable care will keep an instrument damage free.
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

For what TKL charges a builder for a modern case, it's not worth the trouble to build one. they sell to builders through Cedar Creek. Call 'em up and ask to talk to Stephanie.
Pat Foster

Post by Pat Foster »

You could start with a case whose inside dimensions are big enough, remove the padding that doesn't work for your shape, then put in your own. Fabric stores have textile adhesives, and foam in varying densities is easy to find. The fabric might be more of a challenge finding a perfect match. Works quite well for me.

Pat
I like to start slow, then taper off.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”