Recycled timber small body

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Martin Taylor

Recycled timber small body

Post by Martin Taylor »

So, to yet again try to reduce my impact on my bank balance (oh, and maybe the rainforests) I have embarked on another recycled timber guitar. The back and sides are from an old desk that was discarded on the roadside. From what I can tell it was manufactured in the 1950's from Tasmanian Mountain Ash. All the timber was perfectly quarter sawn and after resawing had a fairly good tap tone. The top is a piece of Australian Red Cedar (Toona Australis) that was an offcut given to me from an old builder. He reckoned he had it for at least 20 years in his pile of offcuts he just couldn't throw away.
The Rosette is made up from left over rounds from the inside of previous guitar rosettes (I struggle to throw them out). The neck will be recycled cedar from an old fence. Fretboard and Bridge to be decided on yet. I do have some old blanks but I'd love to use something completely recycled.

I build fairly simply and am regularly inspired by some of the work that appears in these forums. One day I will venture into some more complex builds but for now I am enjoying the basics.

Bending the Mountain Ash

Old rosettes rounds

Snapped up and joined into a random pattern

The Cedar top is quite stiff and taps nicely. The rosette is coming together too.

Mixture of old offcuts of Cedar and Bunya Pine for the bracing

Joining back and sides

Joining the top to close the box.

Binding channels routed and recycled Jarrah for the bindings
Martin Taylor
http://martintaylorguitars.com.au
(Yes, it is my real name!)
Bob Francis

Re: Recycled timber small body

Post by Bob Francis »

What a clever use of those old rosettes.
They look great!
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

I like the whole concept. Of the many projects I have up in the air, most are cobbled together with found or offcut pieces. The random segment rosette seems to be in vogue on the various forums as of late: yours looks tighter and much more calm than many I've seen. Nice, clean work all around.
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
John E Giarrizzo

Post by John E Giarrizzo »

Martin --- Enjoyed see your recycled material guitar. And hearing that others are doing what I do. Most of my violins are made as Jason's instruments are.

That is much of my enjoyment in making --- giving old wood new life.
Josh Humphrey

Post by Josh Humphrey »

This is great- can't wait to see the results!
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Yeah, and as I think others can agree, the more interesting the original source of the wood, the better! Alas, the most "exotic" source I'm using is the Doug Fir stair treads I replaced in our house, and only a 1968 house at that.
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”