The Veneered Necks Of The Early Romantic Guitars.

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Gilbert Fredrickson

The Veneered Necks Of The Early Romantic Guitars.

Post by Gilbert Fredrickson »

I´ve been pondering the neck/heel joint configuration of these necks for months. Any insight into joining the neck to the heel block?
Steve Senseney

Re: The Veneered Necks Of The Early Romantic Guitars.

Post by Steve Senseney »

I built a couple of Lacote style guitars from the plans at Crane guitar.

http://www.crane.gr.jp/indexE.html

The neck/body joint was a simple tapered dovetail.

The heel/neck joint was a simple butt joint with a 45 degree angle cut. I used hot hide glue, with no reinforcement and the joints have held well for at least 5 years of daily use on these instruments. Of course I use low tension nylon strings.

You mention "veneer". I did not veneer the necks on these guitars.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Post by Gilbert Fredrickson »

Yes. Kiyoto Tanaka had posted some pictures of his methods of lay-out and carving of the heel. I have the Crane plans on the table right now. My first neck for that guitar was done in basswood with the stacked heel, Spanish style, with the sides let into the heel. But I knew there had to be a more difficult method. I have drawn up a joint with a 45 degree neck to heel block joint to butt against the inside heel block and be secures with glues and screws. I do intend to use that neck. Still I feel that there must be a more jointerly method.

Indeed, veneer does not like bending in more than one direction.
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

I was very nervous about doing a dovetail joint. I did not expect hide glue to hold the 45 degree miter joint either.

Both went much better than I expected. Plan and cut slowly, take breaks to regain composure.

Remember that this kind of joinery has been done for hundreds of years, even before the internet taught us how to do things, and before Sears sold every one routers.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”