Book on sharpening??

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Ciaran Cosgrave

Book on sharpening??

Post by Ciaran Cosgrave »

I'm looking for recommendations on a good book on sharpening hand tools, preferably one that might also cover how to set up a hand plane?
Waddy Thomson

Re: Book on sharpening??

Post by Waddy Thomson »

How about "The Handplane Book" by Hack. Check Abebooks.com for prices. Some I saw were in the $14.50 - 18.00 range.
Ron Belanger

Post by Ron Belanger »

You can also check the Sharpening Book by Leonard Lee. I believe it is from Taunton Press.
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

Another great suggestion and recommendation is available from LMII, "Double bevel sharpening" by Brian Burns. I watched him perform a demonstration of setting up a hand plane and proceed to shave nearly transparent shavings from both curly redwood and highly figured maple. Brian distributes "Pegheds" geared "wooden" pegs and is full of great information about tools and guitars.
Ciaran Cosgrave

Post by Ciaran Cosgrave »

Great! Thanks guys.
Arnt Rian

Post by Arnt Rian »

All good suggestions, I have all the publications mentioned, they have lots of info. There are also many videos and various online tutorials that show different approaches to sharpening and hand plane tuning. I mention this because I haven't seen the sharpening method that I use, which involves a simple honing jig, a DMT 'duosharp' diamond stone (sometimes a belt sander) and a Japanese water stone, mentioned in any books, but I believe there is a Youtube video that shows something similar. It is usually a good idea to stick with a 'system', or a known, reliable procedure for sharpening, and you may want to check out a few different ones, until you find out what works best for you. Then become so familiar with the procedure that using it becomes second nature, and something that you do quickly and effortlessly while working, as a matter of course. Of all the methods I have tried, I picked the one that gives me the best edges with the least effort, which means I'm less likely to work with dull tools.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”