Shellac Discoloration on Spruce

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Justin Tugaoen

Shellac Discoloration on Spruce

Post by Justin Tugaoen »

So I'm continuing on with my acoustic guitar build and just finished gluing the binding, scraping and sanding. I used the method of taping the bindings first, then wicking thin ca glue to secure everything in place. Beforehand, I brushed on dewaxed shellac on the binding ledges to prevent ca glue discoloration as suggested by many. As you can see I still have remnants of the discoloration from the shellac itself-looks like it went somewhat deep into the spruce. So my question is do I keep sanding until all the shellac is gone before going forward with epoxy pore-filling? Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_6401.jpg
Mark Swanson

Re: Shellac Discoloration on Spruce

Post by Mark Swanson »

Sometimes just using an alcohol wipe until it's gone will get rid of it. This comes from using an amber or a darker shellac...and the way it soaks into the spruce. Don't move on with the epoxy, because then it'll be this way forever. Fix this issue before you move on. Also, you don't need to use the epoxy fill on the top anyway.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Justin Tugaoen

Post by Justin Tugaoen »

Thanks Mark. I'll try the alcohol method first and then sand if necessary. Is it typical not to epoxy the top/spruce? Wouldn't there be a color difference then between the top of the binding vs the side? Also, I was thinking the epoxy would help to strengthen/harden the spalted maple rosette (I remember that wood seemed soft and porous at the time I was cutting it).
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Some folks do put the epoxy on the top, but I have never understood the need for it. I like to keep the finish on my tops as thin as I can get it. And if your rosette is sealed it'll be ok. But, there are more ways than one so to each his own.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Justin Tugaoen

Post by Justin Tugaoen »

thank you

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”