Jeffrey Elliott Chip carving Rosette advice

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Joseph Price

Jeffrey Elliott Chip carving Rosette advice

Post by Joseph Price »

Hi Everyone, my name is Joseph - I used to post here many years ago. I am now back building after pretty much
exclusively repairing non stop for 12 years and would to try some new things.

Has anyone attempted the thread title?

If so - Did you reinforce the top with donut first?
Having practices today on some scrap cedar I have in the shop it seems hard to have the inside radius and outside radius marked evenly from center? Do I need to mark each individually? (Yikes)

Basically any and all advice would be gratefully received.

Much thanks in advance

Joseph
Tom Harper

Re: Jeffrey Elliott Chip carving Rosette advice

Post by Tom Harper »

Joseph,
If I recall correctly, Chih-Wei Liu made an entry at 1:38am, Feb 14, 2008 EST in the mimf thread "Classical rosettes, Any ideas for different styles?" that might provide some useful information, though not what you asked about. He said that denser soundboard materials such as sitka or douglas fir are much easier to chip carve than cedar.

I've never tried chip carving as part of a rosette, so I am unable to offer any personal experience, but thought that vicarious info might be more useful than nothing.
-tom

p.s. I actually do recall correctly because I ran across a copy of the thread when I was looking at something else this just this morning. With a proper database, even people like me can have a memory!
Chih-Wei Liu

Post by Chih-Wei Liu »

My circle cutter was made by a popsicle stick. The blades were tapped in gradually during the cutting proccess. I can't remember if I glued the donut first or not.
Chris Paulick

Post by Chris Paulick »

I haven't done it but seems like gluing the donut first would be a good idea. Probably with the grain running at 90 degrees from the top.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”