First Guitar as done as it's going to be.

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Eric Knapp

First Guitar as done as it's going to be.

Post by Eric Knapp »

Well, since I'm working on guitars 3 and 4 I thought I'd do a followup on number 1. I have the intonation as good as I can get it with this fretboard and bridge. It's not bad and I'll never be satisfied anyway. The top is western red cedar from a piece of siding. The back, sides, and neck are walnut.
guitar-one - 1.jpeg

Seven strings! What was I thinking?
guitar-one - 2.jpeg

My first rosette, too. It's walnut burl figure with maple and ebony highlights.
guitar-one - 3.jpeg

Rosewood binding, that was an ordeal. It was a lot easier on guitar number 2.
guitar-one - 4.jpeg

Pretty plain walnut back and sides. I didn't want to use fancy woods on my first build.
guitar-one - 5.jpeg

It will always be my first and I'm very happy with it. It has a lot of rookie flaws but that's ok, I learned so much making it. It was quite the rush playing it for the first time. On to the next builds.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement.

-Eric
Bob Gramann

Re: First Guitar as done as it's going to be.

Post by Bob Gramann »

Congratulations. Looks good.
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Looks great; nice work. Hearing the first one is always something special!

I really like the vibe of the walnut and cedar together. It is nice and understated looking but not at all in a boring way.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Bob Gramann wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:06 pm Congratulations. Looks good.
Thanks, Bob.

-Eric
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Bryan Bear wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:09 pm Looks great; nice work. Hearing the first one is always something special!
Thanks, it was a very nice moment. I only wish I could play better.

Bryan Bear wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:09 pm I really like the vibe of the walnut and cedar together. It is nice and understated looking but not at all in a boring way.
I was surprised when the WRC turned to almost the same color as the walnut when finished. They weren't like that before the shellac. I do like the look now. I think I have one more top from that board.

-Eric
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

I like it, Eric. Can’t wait to see it in person!
Kaptain Karl
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Karl Wicklund wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:18 pm I like it, Eric. Can’t wait to see it in person!
Thanks, Karl. Anytime!

-Eric
Eric Crawford

Post by Eric Crawford »

I like it. The woods look really good together and the rosette is beautiful.
Hopefully it plays as good as it looks!
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Eric Crawford wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:51 am I like it. The woods look really good together and the rosette is beautiful.
Hopefully it plays as good as it looks!
Thank you! Um, well, er, I hope so too. I'm not a great player so I can't judge. I had to do a lot of adjustments including removing the fretboard and moving it slightly. Getting consistent intonation on an acoustic guitar is a challenge for me still. Guitar number 2 was better and I'm hoping the next one is better still. Step by step, eh?

-Eric
Eric Crawford

Post by Eric Crawford »

Yep
Although I may have found a way to stop that cycle.
My current odd attempt at an unusual design is fretless.
Any intonation issues will be easily explained by my lack of playing ability so I can still think I built it well.
We will see. I should probably finish this summer if I don’t get too sidetracked.
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Eric Crawford wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:09 pm Yep
Although I may have found a way to stop that cycle.
My current odd attempt at an unusual design is fretless.
Any intonation issues will be easily explained by my lack of playing ability so I can still think I built it well.
We will see. I should probably finish this summer if I don’t get too sidetracked.
I'm looking forward to seeing that one!

-Eric
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

It looks fantastic.

You should be proud of how it turned out
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Matthew Lau wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:09 pm It looks fantastic.

You should be proud of how it turned out
Thank you, Matthew.

That's nice of you to say. I am proud of it, worts and all.

-Eric
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Very nice looking guitar. What made you decide to go with 7 strings?
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Clay Schaeffer wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:56 pm Very nice looking guitar. What made you decide to go with 7 strings?
Thank you, Clay. Back when I was a player I was in several jazz bands. My teacher played a 7-string archtop and was a student of George Van Eps. Those kind of guitars were not common in the 80s and I've always wanted one. Now I have one and will probably make a 7-string archtop at some point. I like the possibilities. I also think a 7-string multi-scale guitar might work better for that low note so I might do that too.

-Eric
Bob Ionta

Post by Bob Ionta »

+1 for the idea of a multi scale 7-string. I built a 7 string, short-scale (24.75"), archtop guitar and I'm still playing around with string gauges, trying to get a low B that sounds good acoustically. Plugged in (Seymour Duncan "Benedetto" floating pickup) it sounds quite good with a .062 flat-wound string borrowed from a short scale Gibson bass but that string doesn't speak particularly well acoustically on my guitar. I'm going to try a .070 flat wound D'Addarrio chrome next. I would not use that (single) scale length for a 7-string again but the rest of the strings sound good to me (TI GB112 strings are my favorite so far) so multi-scale would probably be great.

--Bob
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

A few years ago I rebuilt a Gretsch Van Eps 7-string. The truss rod was frozen and had to be replace which ended up requiring a new fretboard. Also replaced the pickups and wiring harness. It was a big job but turned out to be a good playing guitar. Here is a link to the thread.

Gretsch 7-string
Last edited by Barry Daniels on Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link.
MIMF Staff
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Barry Daniels wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:50 pm A few years ago I rebuilt a Gretsch Van Eps 7-string. The truss rod was frozen and had to be replace which ended up requiring a new fretboard. Also replaced the pickups and wiring harness. It was a big job but turned out to be a good playing guitar. Here is a link to the thread.

Gretsch 7-string
That's a great thread! I can't remember if I read it when you posted it, I wasn't retired yet then. My teacher knew a lot about those guitars. He didn't have one as he played left-handed. He had a local guy make him a 7-string archtop and was a wonderful player. Memories!

-Eric
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Bob Ionta wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:43 pm +1 for the idea of a multi scale 7-string. I built a 7 string, short-scale (24.75"), archtop guitar and I'm still playing around with string gauges, trying to get a low B that sounds good acoustically. Plugged in (Seymour Duncan "Benedetto" floating pickup) it sounds quite good with a .062 flat-wound string borrowed from a short scale Gibson bass but that string doesn't speak particularly well acoustically on my guitar. I'm going to try a .070 flat wound D'Addarrio chrome next. I would not use that (single) scale length for a 7-string again but the rest of the strings sound good to me (TI GB112 strings are my favorite so far) so multi-scale would probably be great.

--Bob
Do you have a photos of that guitar? I hope to be able to make archtops some day. A 7-string, multi-scale archtop might just be the thing to get me back playing.

-Eric
Bob Ionta

Post by Bob Ionta »

It's my first archtop and my second build so please be gentle. :^) I built it as an experimental platform and tinkered with it for a couple of years. At one point I removed the top and shaved braces (they're parallel). The acoustic sound got better. People often fret (pun intended) about carving an archtop but I found that fun and pretty easy. I spent waaaaayyy more hours designing, making and breaking tailpieces than I did carving. The arches are curate cycloid (worth investigating) and I used R.M. Mottola's web-based calculator to draw the curves, print them and make templates. Anyway, I could talk your ears off about it but you didn't ask for all that so here are a couple of crappy cell phone snapshots I just took.

Attachments
1 (3).jpeg
2 (2).jpeg

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”