Almost looks like a guitar

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Eric Knapp

Almost looks like a guitar

Post by Eric Knapp »

It’s not done yet but this is a big milestone for me. I needed to string it up to see what the action was like. At first I thought it might be too low but as it is settling in it is getting too high. I’ll keep trying to get the neck angle right. I am not much of a player anymore but I am able to strum a few chords. It sounds pretty good but I don’t have any other flat-top steel-string guitars to compare it to. This is a 7-string, something I’ve wanted for a long time. The 7th string is a low A and seems too thin. The biggest string I could find was a .059”.
60CDE27E-C4A1-4DD4-8F0A-295981DC2A8E.jpeg
I’ve wanted to make guitars for a very long time and it was a surreal moment strumming one I made. This is my learning guitar that will be labeled #0. There is a growing list of things I’ll do differently on the next one. I made this with books, blog posts, videos, and the help from all of you. I have a guitar-player friend who will make a video of it being played once it’s more playable. There’s a lot of fretwork to do and several other little adjustments before then. I’ll take more photos too.

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

-Eric
Karl Wicklund

Re: Almost looks like a guitar

Post by Karl Wicklund »

Congratulations, Eric! Looks good, and I still like that rosette!
Kaptain Karl
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Looks good from here, Eric. Sounds like you are hooked now.
MIMF Staff
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Karl Wicklund wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:30 pm Congratulations, Eric! Looks good, and I still like that rosette!
Thanks, Karl. I like that rosette too and I'm starting to see the flaws less often. Learn and move on seems the only good approach to this craft.

-Eric
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Barry Daniels wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:43 pm Looks good from here, Eric. Sounds like you are hooked now.
Thanks, Barry. I am most certainly hooked. I have been planning the next one for a while now and maybe even the one after that. I have the wood, tools, and desire. I just need the time.

-Eric
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Congrats! there is nothing like hearing your first instrument for the first time! Looks great!

give it some time before you try to do too much work on the neck angle. The guitar will move a bit as it settles in. Just keep an eye on it for a while. Spend that time paying it and sorting out the things you can that don't involve final set-up. Once it has been under tension for a few weeks, then evaluate what needs to happen to get the action right.

Set the neck relief and get your fretwork sorted out.
Adjust your nut slots to be as low as possible.
Then measure the action at the 12th fret. You can compare that to what your action goal is to see what you need to do. Often, you can decide you want to take the action down by X amount and get there by removing 2X amount from the saddle height. Sometimes you don't have enough saddle height to do that and you have to change the neck angle.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Congrats! And nice work!

Keep that first one for life. You'll treasure where you started and came from.
Bob Ionta

Post by Bob Ionta »

That looks really great!

Check this place for your seventh string. I've tried several different gauges on my 7-string, ranging from .059 to .070.
https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/singlestrings.html

For example, here are phosphor bronze up to .070:
https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dphbracsist.html

Or you can search specifically for acoustic bass guitar strings but watch out for the scale length on those.
Pat Foster

Post by Pat Foster »

Congratulations! You never forget the first time. Same with guitars. ;)
I like to start slow, then taper off.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

That looks fantastic
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Thanks for all the encouragement, guys. I’ll post more about it when it’s playable. I took the holidays off from the shop and then got a new dog. I’m starting back on it and I’ll get it going the best I can. I have a friend who can actually play guitars, as opposed to me. We’ll make a video eventually.

-Eric
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

Looking forward to the video’
Kaptain Karl

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”