$100 Local Materials Challenge,Tristan Williams Semi-hollow Tele

Here is where you put your entries.
Tristan Williams

$100 Local Materials Challenge,Tristan Williams Semi-hollow Tele

Post by Tristan Williams »

A buddy of mine has been hankering after a semi-hollow tele for a long time, so I'm going to have a crack at building one for him.

The specs so far:
  • Flamed maple top & neck
  • Walnut body
  • Classic tele electronics
  • Rubbed green sunburst under tru-oil finish
To keep within the budget I'll have to skimp drastically on the tuners and electrickery - I'll be relying on ebay for those. I might have a crack at winding my own pickups for it, however I think they'll work out cheaper from ebay. I'll post my initial budget once I've settled on the parts. Wood will be taking up at least a third of the budget, by my reckoning.

This should be fun! As per my previous two builds, this will be done almost entirely with hand tools in my tiny home workshop.
Tristan Williams

Re: $100 Local Materials Challenge,Tristan Williams Semi-hollow Tele

A little progress on this guitar posted in my other build thread here: http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php ... rt=0#p5788
Tristan Williams

I gave in to weakness and resawed the top for this at the local community college tonight. Actually I ran out of time after taking the first slice off, I need to go back on Monday and complete the operation.

Here is said first slice, half of the top of this axe:
DSCN0272.jpg
Tristan Williams

As mentioned in my other thread, it turns out that the walnut is actually black walnut, which is not local (AFAIK). I definitely want to use walnut for this build, so I'll disqualify myself right now. If people are keen then I'm happy to post progress pictures anyway.
Steven Wilson

Post by Steven Wilson »

You resawed and riped with a hand saw, I vote just call it walnut and soldier on.
Steven
Tristan Williams

Well, I'm also now planning to totally blow the $100 budget, so it really doesn't fit with the spirit of the competition any more :) I'll be sure to post a thread over in the solid body section when its finished!

Return to “The Local Materials Challenge (Closed)”