Shipping Guitar from US to UK

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Craig Bumgarner

Shipping Guitar from US to UK

Post by Craig Bumgarner »

I’m working on a commission for a customer in the UK and will be shipping to him when completed. I’ve never shipped outside of North America and am exploring the details of shipping to the UK. I’m vaguely familiar with CITES, Customs and VAT. Nothing too exotic other than ebony and MOP. The rest of the components are domestic woods (walnut, poplar, spruce). I searched the MIMF Forum and found useful information but it is from 2015-2016. Wonder if anyone can provide an update?

Related question: Anyone have experience with separate shipping insurance? Shipping is the most nerve wrapping part of this otherwise relaxing business and what insurance is offered by carriers seem like smoke and mirrors. I had a full blown business insurance policy for a while which provided this but it was expensive and i dropped it during the downturn during Covid.
Frank Dryer III

Re: Shipping Guitar from US to UK

Post by Frank Dryer III »

I had an experience only with shipping from Germany to US. I've made an order on thomann.de shop. Maybe you can ask them as consultation about shipping (export@thomann.de)
Last edited by Barry Daniels on Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Staff removing unrelated link.
Bob Orr

Re: Shipping Guitar from US to UK

Post by Bob Orr »

I may be wrong but don't think you can ship MOP out of the USA but that may be raw material rather than dots or inlay on a guitar. Just know I cannot buy MOP blanks from US suppliers and I am in UK.

This company in Brighton, UK imports luthier made instruments from the US and may have some info on their website or you could email them.
https://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/

Return to “Jam Session”