Building with kids

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Karl Wicklund

Building with kids

Post by Karl Wicklund »

Our school district kicks off the year with two or three days of enrichment classes. Today, I helped three middle schoolers walk away with simple, homely but functional banjos. We had three hours to stretch the head, attach the neck and install tuners. The results were ok, but the reactions were great. They were thrilled. The picture is a demo one I built from plans outlined by Jon Whitney here on MIMF.
2BCA3C58-684F-46D6-8AB6-A517C97EDA27.jpeg
Kaptain Karl
Eric Knapp

Re: Building with kids

Post by Eric Knapp »

That’s awesome!
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Nice!
Mike Conner

Post by Mike Conner »

Pouring into the next generation! This is such a blessing. Those middle school aged kids have a new degree of confidence - it will be wonderful to see how the seed you have planted will bloom. Thanks for sharing your interest and talents with the next generation, and for sharing it with MIMF. Very inspiring!
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

This is awesome!
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Cool!
Are they fretless?
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

They are fretless, yeah. The kids were bowled over by the fact that they *made* a banjo. None of them know how to play - yet.
One of them has come back to me already for repairs, as the tuners proved to be worth all of the $4 we paid for them.
Kaptain Karl
Frank Dryer III

Post by Frank Dryer III »

Karl Wicklund wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:41 pm Our school district kicks off the year with two or three days of enrichment classes. Today, I helped three middle schoolers walk away with simple, homely but functional banjos. We had three hours to stretch the head, attach the neck and install tuners. The results were ok, but the reactions were great. They were thrilled. The picture is a demo one I built from plans outlined by Jon Whitney here on MIMF.
Did you use a simple plastic pocket on top? :)
Last edited by Barry Daniels on Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

The top is plastic from a 2-liter bottle. That limits the dimensions, but it works quite well. Shrinks up when you hit it with a heat gun.
Kaptain Karl

Return to “Jam Session”