Guilt Monsters?

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Simon Magennis

Guilt Monsters?

Post by Simon Magennis »

Some of you know Douglas Adams' "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" series. He also wrote two "Dirk Gently's Holistic Dectective" novels. From their comes the concept of the Guilt Monster. Something begins to grow mould in the fridge. You avoid cleaning it. It continues to grow. Eventually it is so bad your are frightened to open the door of the fridge. Eventually the interior of the fridge develops a life of its own in a parallel world. If you dare open the door, you will be sucked into the darkness inside and vanish forever.

In real life Guilt Monster are those projects that have been "put on the long finger" some many times that the extent of the problem is magnified and you become frightened to even think about it.

Anyway, I am tackling a bunch of them at the moment. When I close up a guitar I love to string it up before I even begin the finish. My number one weakness are heel caps. I sometimes have a guitar fully french polished before I finally get round to the heel cap. So a couple of weeks ago I promised my self I would not start a new guitar until I had cleared the current guilt monsters. I may make an exception for FP. So far I have done 3 heel caps, retopped another instrument and replaced all the binding on it. Currently, working on the binding for another instrument that has been untouched for about two years. Need to do a bridge, fretboard and heelcap too for it. Feeling happy about that. With a bit of luck by early next week 4 guilt monsters will have been tamed with FP left. Probably 6 instruments ned either a full FP or at least some touch up.

Have you any guilt monsters hanging about?
Matthew Lau

Re: Guilt Monsters?

Post by Matthew Lau »

Hey Simon,

Interesting you bring that up.

I have a set of speakers (almost done, just need to close the box), 3 ukuleles, and an acoustic bass guitar to finish.
Thanks for reminding me on them.

I should get started this week on cleaning it up.
Simon Magennis

Re: Guilt Monsters?

Post by Simon Magennis »

I have made reasonable progress on the guilt monster list I made above. One bridge missing and that guitar will also need some fp. In the meantime I made another one - put the fingerboard on just now. It has a number of re-used components. Might use a recycled bridge on it too. We'll see.

Return to “Jam Session”