Comet

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Peter Wilcox

Comet

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Just a heads up, if anyone is interested in comets. Comet Neowise is rising in the northeastern morning sky starting about 3:30AM for mid-latitude northern hemispherites. Nicest I've seen since Comet Bennett on perimeter guard in Viet Nam in 1970. I got out of bed this AM and took some pics.
Attachments
neowise1.jpg
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Bob Gramann

Re: Comet

Post by Bob Gramann »

Thank you for the photo. I got up yesterday but saw clouds instead. Your photo is inspriational. Maybe I’ll try again.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Great photo! What's your setup?
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

It's a Panasonic G5 with an old 50mm (100mm equivalent in a 4/3 camera) manual Nikkor lens. I bought an adapter a few years ago since I have a bunch of Nikon lenses from prehistoric days when everything was manual and I developed and printed myself. Exposure 13 sec, f/2.8, ISO 800. Subsequently I've taken some with longer lenses but they're slower and at shorter exposure times (to minimize earth's rotational drift) I had to crank the ISO which degraded the picture too much.

The comet is now visible in the northwest after evening twilight, so I'll try some more - won't have to get up at 3AM.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
David King

Post by David King »

Wish we could get some dark sky nights in the city but apparently everyone in charge hates that idea.

Return to “Jam Session”