Steinway factory tour

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Bob Hammond

Steinway factory tour

Post by Bob Hammond »

Bob Francis

Re: Steinway factory tour

Post by Bob Francis »

That was fascinating and interesting.
Thank you
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Thanks for posting that Bob,
I found it interesting that they said gluing up the case work from straight flat grained sheets gave improved sound over cross plied (plywood) laminations. They also seemed to indicate toward the end of the video that every piano had it's own individual "voice", rather than saying they all sounded the same.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

That is what I discovered when making laminated plates for archtops. A single cross grain layer would make the plate sound like cardboard. All parallel layers were very resonate.
MIMF Staff
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

For several years now I have been regluing matched veneers back in the order they were cut to make back and side sets. To me they "tapped" similar to solid wood sets. It's nice that Steinway kind of validates that approach (although I don't think they match the veneers).
Barry,
What type of form and process did you use to mold the back for archtops ? I have been molding sides and pressing flat plates for what I have been doing.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I carved an inside form out of MDF and then made a top form out of fiberglass. I tried laying up veneer without the top form but got wrinkles. Everything is pressed in a vacuum bag.

There is a big discussion here on the MIMF several years ago where I went into detail on my methods, along with others who have laminated archtop plates.
MIMF Staff
Bob Hammond

Post by Bob Hammond »

Clay, the longrain lamination was something that I noticed too. I did some initial tests with uke sides using hide glue, but I didn't pursue it. Not because it was difficult or bad, I just got involved with something else. Maybe I'll see if I still have them around.

Also of interest was the paper membrane laid down on the soundboard. I don't know what to make of it. Would it be similar to 'double-tops'? Was it Randy Roberts who did that often?
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Hi Barry,
I will try to look up that discussion you mentioned. Do you know where it is in the archives?
Hi Bob,
I rewatched the video and looked for the paper membrane you mentioned, but I didn't see it. Do you know about where it is in the video?
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Here is one:

Laminated plates
MIMF Staff
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

MIMF Staff
Bob Hammond

Post by Bob Hammond »

Clay, it's a short description, starting at 3:30

"To the native properties of the wood, we and an exclusive and distinctive feature - our famous 'diaphragmatic paper'...
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

The same people made the full-length documentary “Note by Note: The Making of Steinway L1037”. If you want more detail this is a very good film.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Note_by ... nway_L1037

-Eric
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Hi Barry,
Thank you for the links. Eventually I may try laminating and pressing some archtop plates with some of the veneer I have.

Hi Bob,
I rechecked the video several times and after listening to it a few times clicked on the closed captioning so my old ears could see it better - the narrator was saying diaphragmatic taper. My wife pointed out one end of the soundboard is thinner than the other, like Erard did on their concert harps.
Bob Hammond

Post by Bob Hammond »

Clay- Ah - a mystery revealed.

I think that there was something in the voiceover and videography that suggested to me that it was a separate piece that was added - a layer of paper.

Return to “Jam Session”