Pet Thread

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Calvin Buenavides

Pet Thread

Post by Calvin Buenavides »

I am not that sure as to whether this is the appropriate category or not.
How safe it is to use this wifi shock collar for dog breed like beagles?
JC Whitney

Re: Pet Thread

Post by JC Whitney »

... and would it be safe for use on lead players who won’t turn down their Marshall Stack from eleven?
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

JC Whitney wrote:... and would it be safe for use on lead players who won’t turn down their Marshall Stack from eleven?
""It blends with their spiked collars.
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

I’m not sure what the WiFi part is all about. Are you still using a remote to correct behavior but using a smart phone for the remote, or is it something else? Are you asking about the safety of the WiFi, or safety for the breed?

I don’t think there are any breed specific safety issue with shock collars bit some dogs may present more of a physical challenge. Super dense fur or wrinkly necks come to mind, mother of those would apply to a beagle. That said certain breeds (and individual dogs) may have temperaments that are better suited for them than others.

I have never use a shock collar for training but I did have to resort to invisible fencing for my Siberian husky who can’t overcome her nature and stay at home (I now have a visible fence AND an invisible fence) to keep her home. For her the training was super easy because she is as smart as she is mischievous. I think she got shocked twice before she went around the yard figuring out where the warning beeps were. Now she has the other dog (without a collar) trainee to retrieve her toys if they roll too close to the boundary.

You want to make sure the electrodes make consistent contact but the collar absolutely does not interfere with the regular collar. You don’t want anything pulling on the shock collar causing the points to dig into the neck.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

The collars are designed to be annoying, but safe. If you want something less drastic, try clicker training. The clicker makes a sharp, loud noise that can be just as effective.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

JC Whitney wrote:... and would it be safe for use on lead players who won’t turn down their Marshall Stack from eleven?

The problem is they might enjoy it. :roll:
Steven Smith

Post by Steven Smith »

The collars can be useful for training but should be used to target specific behaviors. Some breeds are compliant enough that they shouldn't need them at all, Irish Setters come to mind. I've used them on Australian Shepherds for long distance off-leash training because that breed has an ability to focus on something to the point they pretty much block out the rest of the world. The mild shock is enough to make them look up and check out the handler to see what he(I) am asking them to do. I have not tried them on Beagles but have seen that breed get a similar focus when they get on a nose trail.

Return to “Jam Session”