Crowdfunding to save (violin?) tonewood

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Beate Ritzert

Crowdfunding to save (violin?) tonewood

Post by Beate Ritzert »

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post....

Last October was really stormy in the Italian alps and it destroyed large amounts of old spruce trees suitable for instrument tops. A (wood dealing?) company is trying to recover as much as possible of the wood, but they are seeking for more money and started a crowdfundining initiative:
http://www.ciresafiemme.it/component/co ... ivari.html#

Here a quote from the page
The extremely stormy weather that at the end of October struck the forests of the Femme Valley, in some areas in altitude damaged also the resonance spruces, uprooting the trees. These perfect logs, grown for 150-200-250 years with very fine and straight grain, are used for making musical instruments.
They are quite rare: only a few among the spruces have the right characteristics for the music.
For this reason we have decided to promote this Crowdfunding “Save the Stradivarius’ tonewood “, asking people very sensitive to music and to nature to help us in this purpose. There are two modalities/ categories : Luthiers and ... Private citizens ...
Clay Schaeffer

Re: Crowdfunding to save (violin?) tonewood

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

If they can manage it it might be quite a "windfall" for them.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Clay, I see what you did there ;-)
MIMF Staff
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

My only caveats:

1. It doesn't mention shipping costs. :shock:

2. I'm too lazy to resaw this personally.

3. I'd rather stop building guitars someday, find a nice wifey, and start a family.

Return to “Jam Session”