Thinking of quitting building for a long, long while

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Steve Sawyer

Re: Thinking of quitting building for a long, long while

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Just a bit of an addendum to Bryan's comments (which are indeed all on point).

I have two sons, neither of which were "planned". My youngest, especially was a complete surprise as our oldest was grown, launched and out of the house for about two years when son #2 came along. We were just settling into life as empty nesters. I was like a zombie for about a month. However, I eventually realized how much we had ahead of us (like I realized that he'd never seen Star Wars or Alien, or Citizen Kane, and hadn't gone camping, or fishing, or learned to ride a bike), and by the time he was actually born, I was as enthusiastic about doing the father thing as anyone could be. I have to admit that I did experience some trepidation. You get one kid raised, and think to yourself "Whew!" - he didn't get kidnapped, didn't get childhood leukemia, didn't get anyone pregnant, didn't get arrested, etc. etc, and now we're starting all over back at square ONE!?!?

Still, it is a major step, and I don't think any of us are really "ready" for it, but we step up to the plate, give it our best shot, and look back on the years raising kids as some of the best years of our lives...
==Steve==
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Interesting to read these posts.

I just figure it's time to find a soulmate. Feeling old. While I love my job (mostly), it can get empty.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Ironically, just as i plan to quit building guitars, i promised luthier Randy Angella to try help rebooting his business.

It's a weird world.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Business mentoring was one of the things I most enjoyed during my working years. Never got to do it as much as I wanted to (most of this stuff is pro-bono). I would still be tempted to do more of it now if ever asked. People in creative and technical fields in particular can benefit greatly from objective experienced business guidance.
==Steve==
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Interestingly, I'll probably be building more than ever, as I decided to quit.
I'm going to finish up some projects that I promised.

The tooling won't be pretty, but it will be fast and dirty.
Results should be okay.

-Matt

Return to “Jam Session”