The Quintar Project: Popularizing an All Fifths Tuning

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Clay Schaeffer

Re: The Quintar Project: Popularizing an All Fifths Tuning

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Hi Bob and Hans,
Another tuning scheme I use for 5 course Octave mandolins ( some call citterns) is GDAea. The distance between the e and a is only a forth I believe, but it seems to make chord playing a little easier.
Bob Hammond

Post by Bob Hammond »

my knowledge of music theory can be written on one 3"x5" notecard. But my ears tell me that for a short - scaled instrument, that a fanned-fret/multi-scale fingerboard is good. It just sounds better.
Hans Bezemer

Post by Hans Bezemer »

Bob Hammond wrote:my knowledge of music theory can be written on one 3"x5" notecard. But my ears tell me that for a short - scaled instrument, that a fanned-fret/multi-scale fingerboard is good. It just sounds better.
Regarding your music theory, I think the most important things easily fit on a notecard. At the end of the day it are just 12 notes of which some are either played together and / or proceeding each other, with a certain rhythm and volume.
But getting this in your brain, heart and hands will take up the rest of your live, at least mine.... ;-)

But I agree on the fanned fret issue, it really helps to balance an instrument.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

"But my ears tell me that for a short - scaled instrument, that a fanned-fret/multi-scale fingerboard is good. It just sounds better."

And many people build them for long scaled instruments to improve ergonomics.
Hans Bezemer

Post by Hans Bezemer »

Clay Schaeffer wrote: And many people build them for long scaled instruments to improve ergonomics.
Which is definitely a second advantage.
I think fanned frets are by far the better option for fretted instruments, I have played I lot with them. But building-wise they are a bit more demanding, outlining and cutting the frets require more time and it can cause some trouble at the nut / headstock.
For unfretted instruments an disadvantage is that you have to learn a lot more positions.
Bob Hammond

Post by Bob Hammond »

Hans, I looked over what you wrote about string gauges, and thought about it. This guitar is newly constructed, and it's quite unique.

So I installed a heavier 0.054 gauge string. in the A position, and I find that it improves the sound.
Hans Bezemer

Post by Hans Bezemer »

Great! It really is a beautiful instrument.
Bob Hammond

Post by Bob Hammond »

Hans, I'm taking it a nearby guitarist by the name of Alex Rogowski, to see what he can make of it. I think his principal in interests are jazz and Brazilian music, and he has published some exercises and reference material. You can look over his website here: http://www.aguitaristsnotebook.com/home
Hans Bezemer

Post by Hans Bezemer »

I've made a short video on how to retune a nylon string acoustic to an All Fifths Tuning.
No adjustments have to be made to the guitar.
With adding a piece of 0,5mm monofilament fishing line I can even tune up to a high B (a fifth higher then a high E string).
Allyson Brown

Post by Allyson Brown »

This experimental instrument is a small-scale build, based on Scott Antes' tenor guitar plans at about 80% size. It features a 23" length with a five-string configuration and a multi-scale fingerboard for improved playability.

Return to “Jam Session”