Getting gifts for my staff. Any guidelines?

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Matthew Lau

Getting gifts for my staff. Any guidelines?

Post by Matthew Lau »

Dear MIMF,

With my startup, I have a great team and not much money (we just clear our bills/payroll).
I'd like to get a present for my staff sometime (around $60).

Do you guys have guidelines for presents to staff?

Conversely, is there something that you wished that your boss would do for you (something reasonable).
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Re: Getting gifts for my staff. Any guidelines?

Post by Charlie Schultz »

For my day job, $50 and $100 "atta boy/girl" gift cards are common. The employee selects where he/she wants the card from (e.g., Amazon, restaurants, etc.). There is also an option to give to charity.
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

If $60 apiece, then cash or gift cards. If $60 total, pizza or sandwiches, soft drinks and an extra hour for lunch.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

I once had a dentist for a boss, and we got a unique and varied selection of gifts. By far the single most useful item I ever given was a high quality 3" brass and mahogany magnifying glass on a matching stand with an engraved name plate. I have used it daily ever since! I don't think the women got those, though, and I assume that is most of your staff. The gift card idea is probably better, especially if they get to chose.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Good tip. I'm afraid of favoritism complaints.
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

At that particular practice, all the women got the same gift, and all the men got the same gift, so there were no questions of favoritism. No one ever complained about the sexual disparity, probably because neither would have liked or used the other sex's gift, and the prices were kept comparable. The choose-your-gift-card completely takes out all questions of favoritism.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Steve Koons

Post by Steve Koons »

We get gift cards at work all the time. It'd be great if they didn't add them to the payroll and take out the taxes on the next pay check!

So a $100 gift card is really only worth about $60.
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Steve Koons wrote:We get gift cards at work all the time. It'd be great if they didn't add them to the payroll and take out the taxes on the next pay check!

So a $100 gift card is really only worth about $60.
Reminds me of a Christmas bonus everybody got at one place I worked - $50 less ~$3 withholding. :o
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it

Return to “Jam Session”