Your Booze of Choice

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Douglas Ketellapper

Your Booze of Choice

Post by Douglas Ketellapper »

So I know Mario is a homebrewer, which I am as well. It's something I'm pretty good at having been brewing for over 25 years. But, I don't know that beer would be the one thing I'd drink if I had the choice of only one. I was a winemaker as well after college where I studied brewing and winemaking, and I love wine, but again, if limited to a single choice, I'm not sure I'd pick just wine. When it comes to spirits, I've loved good Tequila and Mezcal for a long time. Something about the combination of Tequila and lime, or sipping a good Anejo or Reposado that I love. Now that I've married a Puerto Rican, I've started appreciating really good rums, and rum drinks. I'd be hard pressed to pick my one booze of choice. I think, when pressed, that if I had to pick just one, it would be a Belgian Dubbel beer. To me that's just food. When it comes to distilled spirits, it would be a tough choice between a great Tequila or a great Rum...

So what's your booze of choice?
Mario Proulx

Re: Your Booze of Choice

Post by Mario Proulx »

I;m not a fan of wines.... Distilled spirits, though...! I like a good, dark, full flavored rum. I like a Scotch that's very heavy on peat. Blended Scotch is a no-go... Irish whiskey can be good. Bourbon could easily be a favorite, but it needs to be strong. Knob Creek comes to mind..

I dislike all vodka and tequila. And gin. Mehates gin.... Tastes like Christmas trees...

In short, if I'm not knocking-back a dark stout poured from my fridge's tap, I'm most likely sippin' a dark rum. "Old Monk" if I can find it....!
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

IPAs. I have found few that I don't like, and the Pacific NW is the frickin' center of the universe for 'em right now. Haven't spent enough time with bourbon, but I like Bulleit in the orange label. As a matter of fact, I'd like two fingers neat with a pint of Bend, OR Worthy Brewing's IPA.
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
John Sonksen

Post by John Sonksen »

My favorite Bourbon is Booker's, 135 proof and smoother than anything, it just evaporates off the tongue. I like Gosling's for rum, great for a dark and stormy with strong ginger beer and a lime. Tequila is great when you go into the higher end, Tres Generaciones and Cazadores both got me liking tequila again after a long hiatus. More complex and a whole lot smoother than the margarita stuff, it doesn't need a lime or salt or ice and just lifts off when it hits your mouth. My father in law bought me a bottle of Glenlivet 15 year, French Oak Cask single malt highland scotch as a bonus for remodeling his kitchen, and I have to say it's turning me back onto scotch. My first experience of single malts was a ten or twelve year Laphroiag, that'd darn near choke you on peatyness, (I've got to say I don't share Mario's tastes where scotch's are concerned), and I've also enjoyed a few glasses of Green and Blue label Johnny Walker that were fairly amazing. The one booze I don't care too much for is dry gin, especially if it hasn't been tamed with a mixer. I enjoy a nice import brandy on occasion and wish I still had a bottle of the stuff I picked up last fall in Spain, more assertive than French brandy with a smoky finish.

On the whole I really don't drink much anymore, so I tend to gravitate towards the higher end stuff now and hold onto it for quite awhile. This is a pretty sharp departure from my misspent youth, where I considered myself a "semi-pro" drinker, and would engage quite regularly in over-consumption of pretty much whatever alcohol would pass my lips. One thing that's had an effect on my is the fact that my wife rarely drinks and since I spend more time with her than nearly anyone else, well, I just don't drink much anymore, which allows me a little more discrimination in the rare moments when I actually put down money for booze.
John Kingma

Post by John Kingma »

Jason Rodgers wrote:IPAs. I have found few that I don't like.
I was in England for my birthday a couple months ago and had an IPA that looked like Guinness. It was called Black Gold IPA... (isn't the "P" supposed to mean "Pale"...) Anyway it was pretty darn good. But then again I'm a Guinness drinker.

As far as spirits go, I'm a single malt man with a preference for The Macallan.
John Kingma,
Builder of Fine Sawdust & Expensive Kindling
Adam Savage

Post by Adam Savage »

Ahhhh. A subject I feel qualified to talk about :) For me, I don't really have a single favourite drink as I find it depends very much on the situation. For instance, I love whisky and bourbon, but they aren't much good if you're relaxing in the garden or enjoying a steak. However, a finely crafted ale (Samuel Smiths Nut Brown, Oatmeal Stout or porter spring to mind, as does Old Speckled Hen or Doris' 90th if you can find it) or a heavy bodied wine from the Barossa will always find a welcome.
Living in Scotland, there is a wealth of whisky available, and an increasing amount of bourbon, and I find myself drawn to single cask bottling a by independent bottlers. Highland Park and most Islay whiskies are my favourites. I have a particular bottle of 19yr old Highland Park, by Adelphi, that must rank as my number 1.
Bourbon is harder to choose from, but for a long time I've found it hard to beat Evan Williams single barrel - very smooth and with a hint of sweet vanilla.
Gin I can take or leave, but we have a small volume producer called Sipsmith who have a gin that makes a sublime Vesper Martini.
Rum? Appleton Estate 12yr old by far. I have tried their 21 yr old and found it not as easy to drink, despite the high cost. I have also had a bottle of Saint Theresa rum, produced in the solera style which was sublime.
Tequila? Don't have enough variety over here to compare with whisky/rum/bourbon.
Cider? Certainly, if not from a mass producer and sweet. Thatchers single varietals, or Aspalls would be my choice.

I have also started some homebrew - unexpectedly reasonable cider from homegrown and locally scrumped apples. And some stout/porter which is my second attempt at home brew ale - bottled only a week ago.

I would say that Laphroaig would not be my first suggestion for a Scottish whisky novice - very nice, but not what might be called 'subtle'! Cragganmore, a Speyside, is very smooth and an easy drinker. With regard to blends, I have to (mostly) agree with Mario, but again there are some stunners out there. We have one, blended by a merchant in Perth, that is now in its third release and each has been a little different and a world away from the likes of Famous Grouse, Bells or Teachers.

And whilst a drop or two of water really does improve the flavour of whisky, by helping the release of flavour molecules, the practice of adding ice is abhorrent :)

Cheers,
Adam
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

John Kingma wrote:
Jason Rodgers wrote:IPAs. I have found few that I don't like.
I was in England for my birthday a couple months ago and had an IPA that looked like Guinness. It was called Black Gold IPA... (isn't the "P" supposed to mean "Pale"...) Anyway it was pretty darn good. But then again I'm a Guinness drinker.
Yes, there's a Black IPA made by one of the Portland breweries. I liked it well, myself.
Adam Savage wrote:And whilst a drop or two of water really does improve the flavour of whisky, by helping the release of flavour molecules, the practice of adding ice is abhorrent :)
Have you tried those cold stones? They're some inert stone that you chill and then place (don't drop!) in your glass to chill spirits without adding liquid. There's a fancy kitchen gadget store in my burb's downtown that sells them, but I always found it funny to purchase rocks for $10.

Gotta say I'm liking this Jam Session thread, as I now have a good shopping list for my next trip to the liquor store!
Adam Savage

Post by Adam Savage »

No, I haven't heard of 'cold stones', and they would br fine in a fizzy drink like coke or ginger beer. The problem in spirits is that they reduce the temperature, and therefore reduce the evaporation of volatile compounds within the drink, and it is these volatiles that contribute significantly to the flavour of something.
A similar comparison (though a wee bit exaggerated) would the drinking of cold coffee vs hot. Hot = yummy brown nectar. Cold = unpleasant brown medicine. Exactly the same stuff, different taste.

And whilst it's unlikely (though a similar thing happened on the ANZLF I seem to recall), if anyone here is ever over in Scotland, they are more than welcome to pop in and visit for a tasting session...

Cheers,
Adam
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

For me...cider.

I can appreciate a good wine, but I have trouble with more than 10 cc's.
I have trouble with over 300 ml of any beer.

Maybe it's my genes, I can't drink much.
But I do like a good unfiltered, home fermented cider.
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

The Sierra Nevada brewing Co. has recently released a "4 Way IPA" that I have enjoyed. Torpedo, Blindfold, Nooner, and Snow Wit, all good enough to drink. You can find more specific information on their website.

Regarding coffee, I agree it is wonderful when hot, but take exception with the remark about cold coffee. I think coffee is at it's worst when tepid or just warm, but when chilled or just allowed to cool it is very nice to sip. One experiences quite different aspects at the different temperatures, not unlike other beverages previously mentioned.
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Michael Lewis wrote:The Sierra Nevada brewing Co. has recently released a "4 Way IPA" that I have enjoyed. Torpedo, Blindfold, Nooner, and Snow Wit, all good enough to drink.
I like the Torpedo, but I don't know the other three. Thanks for the tip!

Ooooooo, I forgot to mention Lagunitas Brewing, out of Petaluma, CA. Love everything they make, especially their "Lil' Sumpin' Sumpin'."
Douglas Ketellapper

Post by Douglas Ketellapper »

Adam, when I was a young brewer, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout was one of my favorites. That and I would turn people on to dark beers by giving them Watney's Cream stout. Mmmmm. I just started drinking a "Junk Stout" that I bottled recently. Made with stuff I had laying around, and it's quite good. A great summer stout for sure. Also, my dubbel is over a year old, and it tastes stupendous. I'd put it up against anything commercially made. Beer for the soul for sure.

Jason, Lagunitas is probably my favorite domestic brewer. Lagunitas Sucks is my favorite IPA by far, but it's a seasonal. I, and some friends, have emailed them pleading them to release it year round, and they might now that their Chicago brewery is now open. Only beer of theirs that I haven't liked is their Brown Shugga, just way too sweet. Another seasonal that's local to me, so I don't know how well it's distributed, but it's currently available, is Odell's St. Lupulin. It's a lighter IPA made for summer.

Mario, next time I'm in Puerto Rico, I'll ship you a bottle of Ron Del Barrilito Three Star rum. It's fantastic. Not as dark as say a Meyer's dark, but a good brown color, and a great sipping rum. I think it's more balanced like a good whisky or cognac. Of course I'm partial to things Puerto Rican having married a Puerto Rican. I have a new appreciation for salsa music. Amazingly good and energetic, and lots of fun. As soon as I get a real shop again, my first project will be a Puerto Rican Cuatro which I will make for my father in law. I'm a serious Gringo Rican....

Espolon is a favorite Tequila of mine. I do like Cazadores as well. My brother gave me a bottle of Carlos Santana's Tequila, which really didn't impress me too much. Not as good as my old standby Espolon.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Mostly it depends on the weather. A Natty Bo of regular Curs if I'm out mowing the grass on a hot summer's day, or something heavier bodied and stronger when things cool down a bit. I was once a bit of an oenophile but pretty much indulge in all spirits about equally now. I prefer single malts and bourbons, but occasionally drink blends. Lately I've been drinking cheap sour mash Bourbon - Old Crow. I like the flavor better than most of the more expensive brands.

Return to “Jam Session”