Tenting for Termites. Effect on guitar woods???

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Rick Lee

Tenting for Termites. Effect on guitar woods???

Post by Rick Lee »

Hey Y'all. I'm going to have my house tented for termites. I live in Tampa Bay, Florida, and it is a needed event. They are going to use Vikane gas. I store some of my wood in the house. My question is: what, if anything, is the effect of the gas on the wood? Does it effect the finishing process? If it is totally safe, should I bring in the lumber from the shop? The Pest People say that it will not give me any problems, but I would like to be sure. Thanks.
David King

Re: Tenting for Termites. Effect on guitar woods???

Post by David King »

You can read all about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfuryl_fluoride
I don't have any idea whether it would have any effect on raw wood but I'm guessing it won't.
"Because it leaves no residue, sulfuryl fluoride provides no protection from future infestations"
Rakesh Rahangdale

Post by Rakesh Rahangdale »

That was a great information!!!
Bob Hammond

Post by Bob Hammond »

The information about its greenhouse gas properties is disturbing too.
David King

Post by David King »

I would opt for heat treating any day of the week. I think that's 160º F for an hour or something. I suppose it depends on the mass of the wood.

Return to “Jam Session”