Recycled materals into instruments

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Al Dodson

Recycled materals into instruments

Post by Al Dodson »

If you are a Facebook user, check out this video. Search for this: Dec 4, 2012 10:55pm. If any one knows how to put up a more useful link to this, please do so.
Mark Swanson

Re: Recycled materals into instruments

Post by Mark Swanson »

Al, try again to post that link- there's nothing there to see at this point.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Dave Hooper

Post by Dave Hooper »

I Think Al was trying to post about the The Landfill Harmonic Orchestra

Its a film about kids that live off a landfill site and make instruments out of rubbish :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... XynrsrTKbI

I think it brings home that perhaps sometimes when we think that things are really tough, there are always people who are suffering a lot more!

I think they are amazing and how they construct the instruments using rubbish is inspiring to say the least :)

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

All the best
Dave
Steve Graves

Post by Steve Graves »

Right on Dave. When we get all big headed about the art and craft of what we do we often forget why we do it. We put together materials is such a fashion so when we strike, pluck, hit or touch them in any way the item makes tones so people can then make music. Music will continue to be produced long after all the great makers are dead.
Al Dodson

Post by Al Dodson »

Thanks Dave, that's it.
Douglas Ingram

Post by Douglas Ingram »

Saw that film awhile back, my son recommended it to me. Very good on so many levels.
I may be crazy...but I'm not insane.
Bob Hammond

Post by Bob Hammond »

I've contacted urbanwood.org, here in Detroit, with regard to reclaimed lumber. I think there's a mine of material.

I visited a bunch of my artist-daughter's friends, who've started an artists' shop in a former toy factory in Detroit. They have about 1/2 acre of shop space on the second floor. The floor is solid wood with no gaps, and is composed of 2x12s nailed side by side. No kidding, about one-half acre by 12" thick.

Chocolatecakedesigncollective.org

Return to “Jam Session”