Paint Stripper

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Bill Snyder

Paint Stripper

Post by Bill Snyder »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good paint stripper. I have to strip several layers of paint off of an OLD door and the two strippers I have tried so far aren't getting the job done. I have tried Kleen-Strip KS-3 Premium and Savogran Strypeeze. Neither one is cutting very well. At this rate it will take several cans and several days to get the door stripped down.
I must admit that I was working in temperatures that are quite a bit higher than the recommended range but I can't change that. Our high Friday was 102 degrees.
Al Dodson

Re: Paint Stripper

Post by Al Dodson »

I prefer a heat gun for this type of work and leave the strippers for furniture. Stripper only seam to lift the paint one layer at a time; the heat gun will lift all the layers at once. Of course if it gets much hotter there, you won't even need a heat gun!
Bill Snyder

Post by Bill Snyder »

Cool front blew in Saturday and the highs are only about 90 now. Feels good.
I had considered the heat gun but I was concerned about the lead fumes. Turns out the cartridges for the respirator rated for the fumes is not too expensive ($25 or so), so I may go that route.
Al Dodson

Post by Al Dodson »

I've got a better idea. Just trash the door and hang up a bunch of beads like we did back in the day.
Jim Bonnell

Post by Jim Bonnell »

I just saw some of those for sale the other day. Made me smile as I remembered mine.
Thomas Dooher

Post by Thomas Dooher »

I used to use what was called Naval Jelly on things that had durable surfaces. Not sure if there's a version for wood, or even if they still sell that stuff. It would get down through all layers of paint in minutes, and be scraped off with a putty knife.

Return to “Jam Session”