TNG forum feedback?

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Mario Proulx

Re: TNG forum feedback?

Post by Mario Proulx »

Ah, I see the confusion. Sorry 'bout that...

Yes, exactly what Mark said. I was looking for that text/link on the "new messages" page. There's really no point in it once you open the thread, as it's just yet another mouse-move and yet another "click", which is what I want to minimize.

How customizable is this software? If we can enlarge that wee little tiny thing of a button on the "new messages" page that takes us straight to the first unread post, it would be awesome. It's only 11x9 pixels....... :roll: If it was at least the size of the smilies, it would be much more usable.
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

This is the button in question, just in case I'm not being clear.

http://www.tngforum.mimf.com/phpbb/styl ... newest.gif
Tim Douglass

Post by Tim Douglass »

I'd love to have that a bit bigger as well.
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

As I have started to be more comfortable with the new format, I started looking at the "edges" of the screens and fields.

I noted that the "library" link is not present.

Will the "Library" be the same, and if so where will it be found?
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

We are experimenting with bigger icons, but the software seems to override the size right now. We'll keep trying.

The Library is in the process of being transported. Unlike normal TNG transporters, the process is more like the slow boat to China. Give us a few weeks, but the Library will make its grand reappearance sometime "soon."
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

Thanks for the efforts! We're pullin' for ya!
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

Hey, I see a usable button! Kudos!
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

Are you wearing glasses again?
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Mario,
I think that was a bit too big- I've made it a little smaller. Still acceptable?
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

Yeah, it was looking a bit goofy when you first enlarged it, but looks fine now. Still much more usable than originally! Can the image itself be changed? Just asking... This works, and might be fine.

Steve, it's not a vision issue, but a mousing issue; the original button was smaller than the pointer; on pages that have nice large buttons(like the ones below this window, saying 'save draft/preview/submit, for example, I can navigate without really looking directly --at-- the button, if you know what I mean. I can just swing the cursor by and click, but when the button is so small, it takes a distracting amount of effort to get the cursor right on it. I was clicking the author's name more often than the damned button! But now it's much better! Thanks Charlie! The Devil's in the details. Always.
John Mueller

Post by John Mueller »

Oh!! I guess I can see it. Never mind.
Randy Roberts

Post by Randy Roberts »

I tried to find the answer before bothering you with this question but couldn't find an answer elsewhere...sorry if I missed it somewhere.

Do you know if the discussions that were current on the old forum are going to to be included in the archives file as it's transfered over here, or will they just evaporate. The reason I ask is I had a tutorial that ran a short time over there but had not yet dropped of the active list which is how I assume discussions get put in the archives.

If the "active" on the old forum come with the archive then it will be here for anyone that might want to use it... if they don't come along, then I was wondering if I should repost it here so it is available for others in the future.

Thanks for all the time you're putting into this transition... I don't envy you, but I sure thank you big time.
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

I believe all discussions on the old Forum will eventually come over as archives. Due to the differences in software, we were not able to export/import active discussions. When the old Forum closes for good, the remaining discussions will be closed, reviewed, and the keepers will be turned into library files and sent over here. That is obviously a huge process and may take a few weeks, but Deb is working diligently on exporting everything, even the stuff that has been stuck in the library queue for years.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
David King

Post by David King »

I'm curious to know how hard it would be to change the text size on the uppermost, leftmost navigation string, where it says "Board index< Jam Session or wherever you happen to be. I often find myself hunting for the way back to the forum index page and that seems to be the only link but it's lost in the clutter for me anyway.
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

Agree.....
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Just to be clear, are you talking about this text (subsilver):
Capture-sub.PNG
Capture-sub.PNG (2.27 KiB) Viewed 20918 times
Or this text (prosilver):
Capture-pro.PNG
Capture-pro.PNG (4.78 KiB) Viewed 20918 times
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

Either one for me. What's frustrating is that all of the links are simply text of the same size as the rest of the text on the pages, so they don't jump-out at us, visually, so we have to "hunt" for them. it would be nice if some of the most used/important/handy ones were much larger, or even changed to buttons of some sort.

That's what many of us loved of the old forum; big-ass navigating buttons! ;)
David King

Post by David King »

I looked around but couldn't locate the first example. I was thinking of the second example.
I browse most fora by using the back button over and over again to get back to the index page so I can jump to the next section I'm interested in. No forum software I've ever used had what I would consider good navigation but this one is so cluttered I find it much too tiring to get around on. A lot of that clutter is the banner ads, I can live with that but anything to help us see the more useful elements would be handy. The one text that's emphasized is the topic title which might be good for folks that insist on changing topics at the drop of a hat but I'm more interested in knowing who posted what than seeing that title repeated 15 times down the window in a +2 bold font.
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

The first example is from the board style called "subsilver". We currently offer two styles, subsilver and prosilver, you may find the subsilver a little less cluttered. If you want to try it, go to your user control panel, board preferences, and then "board style". You can change back and forth.
Bob Menzel

Post by Bob Menzel »

On the main index page and individual forum index pages it woud be nice if the category and subject titles would change color (fade) after you've viewed that category, and/or forum topic (per viewing session).
Not Your Uncle

Return to “Jam Session”