Mistakes? Fess up!

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Pat Foster

Mistakes? Fess up!

Post by Pat Foster »

I stumbled across an old thread where mistakes were mentioned, and thought maybe a thread on the subject would be worthwhile, if it hasn't been done already.

Here are some of mine:

When a classical neck with a Spanish heel was nearly finished, I found that I'd made an 11-fret neck. It became a stress test victim for the headstock v-joint, so it wasn't all for naught.

Fretboard markers from the fifth fret to the 17th were all one fret off.

I kept breaking the shell for an elaborate inlay, then had success on the fourth try, only to lose it. After two days searching the benches and the shop floor, I found it stuck to the bottom of my shoe.

There were many others, but with each new mistake--and some repeats--they became less of a frustration and more of a lesson. Some lessons were better remembered than others.

How boutchoo?
I like to start slow, then taper off.

Bob Orr

Re: Mistakes? Fess up!

Post by Bob Orr »

once glued a heel block on the top surface of a neck that already had the headstock glued on!

Pat Foster

Post by Pat Foster »

Love it, Bob! That's one I haven't done . . . yet.
I like to start slow, then taper off.

Darrel Friesen

Post by Darrel Friesen »

I would fess up but this forum only allows 58,000 character responses. :)

Randy Roberts

Post by Randy Roberts »

Pat,

Your 11 fret neck really brought back memories for me.

https://www.mimf.com/library/Randy_Robe ... -2005.html

probably my best other screwup was completely finishing a really involved tree of life full length fretboard inlay, fretting it, not being happy with the seating of the 12 fret, and thinking "I'll just pop the fret out with my thumbnail"....
fretboard split lengthwise full length of the board not just one split but 2 dividing it into 3 long splints held together only by the remaining frets.
Somehow managed to get it flat again and glued, but not before testing it as you did yours, only my testing regimen leans more toward aerodynamic. Made it to the middle of the neighbor's yard.

Return to “Jam Session”