Removing glued on bone frets from Ruan fretboard

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Freeman Keller

Removing glued on bone frets from Ruan fretboard

Post by Freeman Keller »

A friend has a Chinese instrument called a Ruan with bone frets that are glued directly to the fretboard. He had to replace a couple of them and used Titebond III to glue them down. Unfortunately he got a couple of them crooked and needs to redo them. My thoughts are to apply an little head/moisture as close to the seam as possible, then try to work a very thin blade - a scalpel or box cutter - into the joint. Obviously a concern is breaking the fret - he wants to reuse them. Any ideas?
David King

Re: Removing glued on bone frets from Ruan fretboard

Post by David King »

All three formulations of Titebond are quite susceptible to acetone. You might load up a pipette and use sparingly along with a paper towel to keep it off the finish.
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

I did not know that David, that is a very handy thing to know - Thanks!
Titebond Original is susceptible to vinegar (acetic acid). Don't know if it works on "III".
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

Thank you both. I suggested that he try the vinegar first, then a tiny drop of acetone if that doesn't work. I was trying to figure out how to apply heat without doing damage to the bone frets - this should be better.

Return to “Glues and Finishes”