The Ol' Vintage Amber.

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Gilbert Fredrickson

The Ol' Vintage Amber.

Post by Gilbert Fredrickson »

I used the ColorTone Vintage Amber as the base coat of a two color sunburst for a Gibson L-0 copy. Tobacco Brown was my second color. It looked great. I was shocked. The next one will be finished with hand applied color. I watched a video on mandolin sunbursts. The person was a true artist.

I'm about to build a Martin OOO-18 copy (14 fret), and I'm wondering what to use to tone the top. The rattle can is nice. I've French polished with dark blonde on Spruce but I don't think a seal coat of that stuff will do much under lacquer. I think I'm going to need some dye. Yes, a sealer coat and some rattle can color. I'm also staining the Mahogany.

Any helpful tips are always greatly appreciated.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Re: The Ol' Vintage Amber.

The top I'm using is so nice, I'm hesitant to use any dye on it. Maybe a couple of coats of blonde shellac to seal it before the lacquer clear coats. The Mahogany might be happy with some dark pore fill and a slathering of garnet bug vomit before I blast it with toxic aerosols. That's about all the experimentation I'm up for. I'm old.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Yup, that did it.
Allyson Brown

Post by Allyson Brown »

I used the ColorTone Vintage Amber as the base coat of a two color sunburst for a Gibson L-0 copy. Tobacco Brown was my second color. It looked great. I was shocked. The next one will be finished with hand applied color. I watched a video on mandolin sunbursts. The person was a true artist.

I'm about to build a Martin OOO-18 copy (14 fret), and I'm wondering what to use to tone the top. The rattle can is nice. I've French polished with dark blonde on Spruce but I don't think a seal coat of that stuff will do much under lacquer. I think I'm going to need some dye. Yes, a sealer coat and some rattle can color. I'm also staining the Mahogany.

Any helpful tips are always greatly appreciated.

Return to “Glues and Finishes”