Can you etch chrome plated metal

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Bryan Bear

Can you etch chrome plated metal

Post by Bryan Bear »

The answer to this may be obvious but I have only once etched metal so I have basically no experience. I etched a piece of brass by suspending it in a copper sulfate solution and using a 12 volt power supply. I got acceptable results and learned enough to feel like I can do that project much better next time I need to.

Currently I am making a guitar for my best friend and it will have sealed chrome tuners. I got the idea to etch something into the round plate on the back of the tuner. This would differ from my previous experience in a few ways. 1) I would not suspend the item in a salt but rather press a lead covered in a salt soaked cloth over the resist, 2) I'm not sure if I should use copper sulfate or some other salt solution, 3) it will be a different metal and 4) I will not be trying to etch deeply and remove much material just change the sheen on the surface.

So, can you etch chrome? What solution is best? Am I asking for trouble etching a thin chrome plating, will I end up with flaking down the line? Are there any other considerations I am missing?
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Bryan Bear

Re: Can you etch chrome plated metal

Post by Bryan Bear »

Thanks Clay. That’s pretty much what I plan to do but with vinyl stencils made on the cricut machine. I suppose it doesn’t really matter much what electrolyte I use. My only reservation now is if the etching will cause the chrome plating to flake around the etched edges over time.

I’m thinking that since this is for a close friend, I can use some inexpensive tuners and keep an eye on them over time. I will always have easy access to switch them out. It will be a good opportunity to field test it.
PMoMC

David King

Post by David King »

Its easier to etch nickel plating and you can do that with ferrous sulfide PCB etchant that you used to be able to buy at Radio Shack. I would dilute it 4:1 with water and apply with a q-tip or disposable brush. At full strength it will strip the nickel in no time.

For chrome the traditional stripper is HCL and just the fumes should be able to give you a nice etch. You can buy it at most hardware stores and mason's supply houses as muriatic acid. pour some out in a plastic dish and place the item over the dish with a plastic tent over it. Not sure how best to mask such a convoluted item but perhaps frisket dip or apply the frisket to the design area and dip the rest in lacquer rubbing the lacquer and frisket off the design. Then after etching dipping the whole tuner in acetone to remove the lacquer.
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Thanks David. You bring up a good point. She. I say chrome plating, I probably mean nickel. . .
PMoMC

Return to “Glues and Finishes”