Hard finish for maple fretboards?

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Tristan Williams

Hard finish for maple fretboards?

Post by Tristan Williams »

I'm pondering options for fretboards for the $100 challenge, as there just aren't any hard dark woods around here. The last two guitars I built have light fretboards, so I think this next one should have a dark fretboard. I've been looking into staining maple dark, and it seems that they always need re-staining every year or so. This isn't too bad I guess if you've simply ebonized the fretboard with some Fiebing's dye, but I'm considering getting creative with some flamed maple for something a bit more striking..

What would be a good durable finish to get a longer lifetime without re-staining? Perhaps coating with polyester or epoxy resin? Boating is a very popular pastime in these parts so polyester resin is cheaply available.
Patrick Kirkham

Re: Hard finish for maple fretboards?

Post by Patrick Kirkham »

I use Rustoleum Varathane Diamond Coat floor finish. Water based acrylic urethane. Shoots straight out of the can. Tough? I put it on fretless necks that have lasted for years with barely a scratch, using round-wound strings. Seems to work nicely on fretted maple necks as well.
Tristan Williams

Post by Tristan Williams »

Sounds perfect! Sadly, I can't seem to find it anywhere in Europe :(
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

Rustoleum Varathane is probabaly not available in Europe.
The key thing is that it is a floor finish. Floor finishes are designed to survive lots of abuse. I'll bet you can find a similar finish there, just look for a polyurethane floor finish.
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice

Return to “Glues and Finishes”