New nitro over old...

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Ron Adair

New nitro over old...

Post by Ron Adair »

1st post!

My 20 year old Les Paul Custom needs a refresh/respray. The old finish is mostly good, but the lacquer is separating where the binding meets the body & neck. I know this is part of the natural aging process; as different materials settle in they tend to take the finish along for the ride.

I’m not concerned with keeping the guitar original. I want to “freshen” it up with a respray. Smooth out the wood/binding finish issue, fill dings, dents & scratches and then respray. Nothing goes through to the base color (trans wine red).

In a former life I manufactured high end overlaid jewelry & music boxes. I started my “finishing” career with lacquer & migrated to two part poly for durability. I’ve sprayed a lot, just not guitars.

I’ve got an Iwata LPH80 & was planning on using Behlen nitro. Any pitfalls of which I should be aware?

Thanks much!
Clay Schaeffer

Re: New nitro over old...

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

What kind of finish did they use 20 years ago? Not all lacquers will melt into one another.
Ron Adair

Post by Ron Adair »

Clay Schaeffer wrote:What kind of finish did they use 20 years ago? Not all lacquers will melt into one another.

Good point. I’ll test a spot under the pick guard.
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

You might want to leave the pickguard off in the future. Test under a tuning machine.
Ron Adair

Post by Ron Adair »

Joshua Levin-Epstein wrote:You might want to leave the pickguard off in the future. Test under a tuning machine.
Man, you guys are full of good ideas.

Thanks, I'll test under a tuner.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Good ideas often come from regrets.... "I wish I would have..." :roll:

Return to “Glues and Finishes”