Laminated neck glue

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Andrew McSpadden

Laminated neck glue

Post by Andrew McSpadden »

I am moving over to laminated necks for my electrics. I am fine using a PVA or A resin for my electrics but since i dovetail my acoustics I am worried about if a reset is in its future about PVA or Alphatic resin separating. Is there a glue that will not gas off years later and ruin my finish ? Thanks!
Barry Daniels

Re: LAminated neck glue

Post by Barry Daniels »

Titebond III might be worth considering.
MIMF Staff
David King

Post by David King »

I'd give urethane glue a look-see as well. It's impervious to water and heat and doesn't creep. It's also mighty quick, clamps come off in about an hour and construction can proceed.
Calvin Buenavides

Post by Calvin Buenavides »

You can also use the Gorilla Super Glue Gel, it is a good alternative to the Titebond III.
Brent Tobin

Post by Brent Tobin »

If I'm reading this correctly, the question is about acoustic guitar necks and the possibility of a neck reset in the future.
A really good fitting dovetail joint requires very little glue. If it locks in place as it should, there would be no cold-creep because the glue is not under any stress.
Better to have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

If I'm reading it right, I think he's worried about the neck laminations separating when he heats the dovetail joint to remove the neck. Maybe some clarification.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Andrew McSpadden

Post by Andrew McSpadden »

Yes Peter, it is the end grain of the neck that I am worried about.

Thank you all for responding to my post!
David King

Re: Laminated neck glue

Post by David King »

Could you just size the endgrain with thin CA?
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

One option is to think about doing future neck removal with a Heat Stick instead of steam. Much less likely to delaminate the neck.
MIMF Staff
Randy Roberts

Post by Randy Roberts »

This might be off topic, but make sure your middle lamination is thinner, or else wider than whatever truss rod channel you will be subsequently cutting into the neck.
If the center lamination is the same width as the truss rod's bearing end, you can end up with the force of the truss rod being a shear load on just a small line of whatever glue, which will cold creep and down the road create a bump protruding from the back of the neck.

DAMHIK
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

I've found Titebond III to be good for this. Steaming off a neck with T1 is a problem.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Andrew McSpadden wrote:I am moving over to laminated necks for my electrics. I am fine using a PVA or A resin for my electrics but since i dovetail my acoustics I am worried about if a reset is in its future about PVA or Alphatic resin separating. Is there a glue that will not gas off years later and ruin my finish ? Thanks!
Laminating necks on acoustics might be a reason to considering moving over to a bolt on neck style.

Return to “Glues and Finishes”