Help us create an FAQ for glues!

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Simon Magennis

Re: Help us create an FAQ for glues!

Post by Simon Magennis »

How liquid is your hot hide/bone glue when you use it? If you dip a brush in it, does it run quickly off the brush like water, or is it a more viscous flow? I know it is hard to describe. Recently I met a builder who uses a much more "liquid" glue that I have ever tried. Seems to work fine. May i have been making mine much too tacky.
Butch Brookshier

Post by Butch Brookshier »

wblakesx wrote:Also ... I had to glue nylon to wood once. The local glue genius (no longer here) put me onto some yellow rubbery stuff from 3M. I think it had acetone plasticiser. It set up very quickly. Anyone know what it was, not necessarily 3M, generally?
I see no one has answered wblakesx question. The glue was very likely weatherstrip adhesive. 3M makes it in both a yellow and black formula. Usually sold in auto parts stores for attaching rubber trim, moldings and, of course, weatherstrips.

Another group of glues that might have some use for instrument work are the acetone based glues. Duco, Ambroid, Sigment and Testors green tube and brown tube glues. Advantages are a shorter drying time than aliphatic glues and good sandability after drying. Can be unglued or thinned with acetone. Disadvantage, at least of Ambroid, is it's tint, an orange yellow color. I haven't used it for any guitar type tasks, only on model airplanes, so use at your own risk.
My avatar is my incredibly life-like self portrait.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Welcome to the MIMF, Butch.
MIMF Staff
Butch Brookshier

Post by Butch Brookshier »

Thanks, Barry. I was a member of the old forum and until I put this up, I hadn't realized I never had posted on the new one.
My avatar is my incredibly life-like self portrait.

Return to “Glues and Finishes”