I need a new gun...for new guitars and repair, lacquer main use..Reasonable $$

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Stephen Neal Saqui

I need a new gun...for new guitars and repair, lacquer main use..Reasonable $$

Post by Stephen Neal Saqui »

I'm giving up on my Finex HVLP. Looking at Devilbiss.

Want to listen to "best for the money" "Ease of use and cleaning"

Compressor: California Air Tools 8010 Ultra Quiet

Appreciate help from Pro's Thank you!
Bob Gramann

Re: I need a new gun...for new guitars and repair, lacquer main use..Reasonable $$

Post by Bob Gramann »

I have had an Asturo ECO/SX for several years. I have rebuilt it twice--the rubber O-rings start to leak air after a couple of years. I spray Target EM6000 (water-based acrylic). The advantage of this gun over some of the bigger ones is that it will atomize pretty well with 6cfm at 40 pounds. I generally run mine at about 42 psi--below that, I sometimes get orange peel. I haven't tried an Iwata or a Sata--they both require a bigger compressor than I have (9cfm at 40).

I usually let the finish sit in the gun for a 2 hour session-4 coats. Then, I rinse and wash the cup clean, run the cup of hot water through it, run half an ounce of alcohol through it, check the air cap, and put it away. After 6 to 8 sessions, I remove the nozzle and the needle and clean the passages more thoroughly (often, there is nothing to clean out).

I did consider a turbine setup. I borrowed a friends three-stage Apollo rig. I couldn't get it to spray a good wet coat--I got orange peel and the heat from the turbine made the finish dry before it could flow out. If I go down this path again, I will consider the Fuji 4-stage, but for now, the ECO/SX is meeting my needs.

I don't lay awake at night rejoicing in my relationship with this gun, but it is a competent gun and it meets my needs.
Joel Nowland

Re: I need a new gun...for new guitars and repair, lacquer main use..Reasonable $$

Post by Joel Nowland »

Due the many good reviews, last year I bought the "Professional" HVLP nickel plated spray gun model from Harbor Freight #68843. When I cleaned it I noticed the parts are machined very well, as well as the high priced guns I have like the Iwata.

I wanted it for a dedicated sealer gun but noticed how well it performed. I now use it for my main lacquer coating and reserve my Iwata guns for color coating, shading, sunburst, etc... only.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Joel Nowland wrote:Due the many good reviews, last year I bought the "Professional" HVLP nickel plated spray gun model from Harbor Freight #68843. When I cleaned it I noticed the parts are machined very well, as well as the high priced guns I have like the Iwata.

I wanted it for a dedicated sealer gun but noticed how well it performed. I now use it for my main lacquer coating and reserve my Iwata guns for color coating, shading, sunburst, etc... only.
Are you using a compressor or turbine to drive that gun, Joel?
==Steve==
Stephen Neal Saqui

Thank you Bob and Joel.

In my early days, 60's-70's, we used a very simple low pressure Devilbiss gun that you could dismantle in minutes to clean, didn't waste finish, and could be controlled effortlessly. During my move to Idaho someone stole mine and I replaced it with a Finex FX100 which has served me fairly well. The instructions were to set the compressor at 100 psi and the gun at 29 psi.

The price range between the two that Joel and Bob have talked about is from $18 to $500. I'd like to pare this down a bit and keep to the simple side of things.
Any more suggestions?
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

Spray gun world has the eco/sx for $248.
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Here are some posts from the library- they may be too old to be of value though..

http://www.mimf.com/nl-ksearch/ksearch. ... y=50&all=1

Mario liked Devilbiss and he still checks in from time to time.
Stephen Neal Saqui

WOW! That's some library!
Thank you Charlie!

I just got off the phone with Devilbiss tech support and had a "heart to heart" conversation with "Gary" who led me through the maze of the corporate website to a beautiful little gun that's just what I'm looking for. It's called: SP-100-510-K 510 Trans Tech.
Now I have to find a dealer within 750 miles! My first will be at Sherwin Williams...only 200 miles.

Living in the Rockies does have its charm!
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

Please give us a report after you use it for a while.
Joel Nowland

Post by Joel Nowland »

Steve
The HVLP gun I mentioned uses compressed air.

IMO the best gun for the money, for guitar finishing and even larger objects, would be the Iwata LPH300 which is considered a mid sized gun and about $200.00 less than their full sized guns and about $300.00 less than other higher priced full sized guns like the Devilbiss tekna pro lite.

Of course I haven't used all the guns out there, but I have tried a lot of them and the best brand I have used so far is Iwata.

When I first decided to bite the bullet and buy a higher priced gun I bought the Iwata LPH80 for sun burst finishes and man what a nice gun. I wished I had bought one years earlier.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Joel Nowland wrote:When I first decided to bite the bullet and buy a higher priced gun I bought the Iwata LPH80 for sun burst finishes and man what a nice gun. I wished I had bought one years earlier.
That looks like an interesting gun - really ideal for guitar finishing. I just don't have the space for a large compressor, and the specs on that say it can operate on 1.8cfm @ 13PSI. My small compressor does 3.8cfm @ 40psi, so am I correct in thinking that gun would work with this compressor?
==Steve==
Stephen Neal Saqui

Joel, So far the Devilbiss Trans Tech gun is $500 everywhere I look and I can't justify that expense now.

Also, I have yet to buy another compressor and am leaning towards the California Air Tools 8010 which is one hp.
Will the Harbor Freight #68843 be compatible?

I haven't found the IMO gun you're talking about. When you say "less than" what do you mean? Less than what?
Joel Nowland

Post by Joel Nowland »

Stephen

Just do a search on ebay for Iwata LPH300 and you will see the prices.
Stephen Neal Saqui

Joel, Thanks!

Return to “Glues and Finishes”