Big ugly Scar..

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Robert Smallwood

Big ugly Scar..

Post by Robert Smallwood »

Hi.
I'm hoping someone can advise on a good patch on what will be a dye stained finish.

This attempted patch is shellac and sawdust which I have done before, but this time things don't seem to be going well see pic:

I think the fault was caused by a slip while sanding the carve before the binding was on, leaving a dish beside the binding.

I have the offcut from which i could harvest a small piece if necessary, but I hope there might be a simpler way for an invisible patch.

Things were going so well....
Attachments
IMG_0504.jpg
Clay Schaeffer

Re: Big ugly Scar..

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Looks like a good candidate for a sun burst finish.
Robert Smallwood

:o) ..yes.. that's what the plan always was, but I'm wondering how unevenly the dye will take. YOu can see a little red dye where I experimented a bit.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

That is not Good. I would dig it out and patch with matching wood. Only way to go here. It will be worth the effort in the end.
I always think that a well fitted wood filler patch is superior over dried glue especially for trying to match the existing, surrounding finish.

Carefully cut it out to a depth of maybe 1/8" (but removing the least material possible) using vertically cut chisels and/or knives, or a small router. Then close fit and glue in a tapered patch. It can sometimes be done to the point of invisibility, or at least that's the goal.
MIMF Staff
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

You could do a sunburst with no problem IF you put the color in the finish and not as a stain in the wood. Tint the lacquer and put the dark coats on first, finish over with clear. When you don't try to use color that is supposed to soak into the wood, you won't have any trouble.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Robert Smallwood

hi. I went weak at the knees on reading Barry's advice, but i really had no choice ..so ..i cut with an assortment of hobby knives chisels...whatever..

the patch was small and flimsy and broke a number of times...

I have never done anything like this, and never want to again...but..

here are the 'after' pics...

The bandages are just off..still a lot of prep to do on the the top, but I don't believe I could have expected a better result due to my relative inexperience. Thanks for all your considerations guys

REgards,
Rob.
Attachments
patched05.jpg
patched05.jpg (117.74 KiB) Viewed 8220 times
patched04.jpg
patched04.jpg (118.48 KiB) Viewed 8220 times
patched03.jpg
patched03.jpg (112.64 KiB) Viewed 8220 times
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »