Hide glue

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
James Ansara

Hide glue

Post by James Ansara »

Hello everyone, I have a question about glue. I have used hide glue in the past to glue body blanks and fingerboards with good results on Fender type guitars. I am now building an SG model and wonder if anyone has used hide glue for a set neck or knows of a reason not to use it there.
Thanks for any insight.
James
Art Davila

Re: Hide glue

Post by Art Davila »

There is a section here for glues and finishes.
I have a lot of experience on how "not" to do things.
Mark Wybierala

Post by Mark Wybierala »

I'm not as practiced as others here are at using hide glue but for a neck joint, hide glue is what I will always use. It is certainly strong enough. My general thoughts are to use hide glue on any joint that may need to be taken apart in the future. I use Titebond for broken parts only because of my lack of experience using hide glue, because of the longer time available for getting the proper clamps in place, and the better gap filling properties. If you have a good quality and clean joint between two pieces of wood, hide glue is the best choice.
Arnt Rian

Post by Arnt Rian »

Hide glue will be fine for the neck joint, in fact Gibson charges premium for their new "Historic" Les Pauls, where one of the selling points is that hide glue is used for the neck joint...
James Ansara

Post by James Ansara »

Thanks for that, Mark and Arnt. Hide glue it is.
James

Return to “Glues and Finishes”