HHG in fridge

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Steven Williams

HHG in fridge

Post by Steven Williams »

Just started using HHG and am very happy with the results. I have some mixed HHG in the fridge that has been there for about 4 months. This batch worked well and I put it in the fridge right away after using it. Is it still OK to use now or should I make a fresh batch? It's Behlen's HHG and I made too much. Hate to throw it away. What is a safe shelf life stored cold?

Thanks,
Steve
Andy Birko

Re: HHG in fridge

Post by Andy Birko »

Please don't take this as gospel but I've re-used many month old HHG without a problem. Pretty much so long as it doesn't have mold growing on it I'll use it.

Do a test piece and see what happens.
PMoMC
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

Depends on what temperature your fridge is set at; my shop fridge runs at 35(°F) and my glue is fine for about 2 weeks, after which I toss it. For critical joints, such as a bridge and top joins, I always make a fresh batch.

If you made too much, cut it up into small cubes and freeze it. It will keep for months...
Ron Belanger

Post by Ron Belanger »

+1 on freezing
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

Hide glue is relatively inexpensive.
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

I agree that the stuff is cheap, and whenever there's -any- doubt, it gets tossed. But for day to day use, it's awful handy to have some frozen cubes handy instead of making a fresh batch every morning and at day's end, it goes back to the fridge..
Randy Roberts

Post by Randy Roberts »

I just fill a bunch of 1 and 2 oz. squirt bottles when I make up HHG, and toss them in the freezer. Other than occasionally having to fish a bottle out of a glass of ice water when I grab a handful of ice cubes, it works well and there's always glue ready when I need it.

As a sporadic builder, I can't easily predict when I'll have time to work on the instruments, and so this has worked out a lot better for me than needing to anticipate when I'd need to make up glue ahead of time and getting it done.
Simon Magennis

Post by Simon Magennis »

I cut it up in cubes like Mario said and keep it in a sealed jar in the fridge. Not sure what the T is. I am not sure what the longest has been but probably 6-8 weeks. However, I toss it if it starts to smell bad or if if I have the slightest doubt about it when I heat it up.
Steven Williams

Post by Steven Williams »

Thanks to all for your responses. I know it's relatively cheap and I still don't like to waste it but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. The results of using HHG for me are well worth the extra effort involved in preparing and applying it.

Steve

Return to “Glues and Finishes”