CA prep

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.

CA prep

Postby Mark Wybierala » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:10 pm

Years ago, when CA was relatively new to the public, it often came in a kit with a prep solution to apply to the surface first before the application of the glue. Was this just acetone? Sometimes I need to use CA on a surface that intuitively I know isn't going to bond very well. Is there a special chemical that promotes adhesion? -- or was that stuff just acetone that would remove contaminants?
Mark Wybierala

Re: CA prep

Postby David King » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:04 pm

It may have been a fast drying, basic solution to clean and promote curing, essentially what's sold as accelerator today.
David King

Postby Alan Carruth » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:27 pm

I often rub some baking soda into surfaces that I know will be problematic, such as walnut. Sprinkle on a little bit, rub it in with a finger tip, and wipe off the excess. Enough will remain in the pores to start things rolling.
Alan Carruth

Postby Brian Evans » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:55 pm

If I want to accelerate CA, I use the baking soda in a water mixture. If I want to promote curing I just breathe on it, humidity helps. If I want to protect the surface from excess CA I coat with shellac first. The CA bonds to the shellac quite well, and shellac bonds to wood very well.
Brian Evans

Return to Glues and Finishes