Veneer Saw.

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Veneer Saw.

Post by Gilbert Fredrickson »

I've been using a razor knife to cut veneer strips for purfling. It works okay when I carefully make multiple passes. Is a veneer saw a better tool to use for this. The veneers are usually stacks of 0.010 and 0.020 dyed maple. Thanks.
Barry Daniels

Re: Veneer Saw.

Post by Barry Daniels »

In the past I always used a utility knife with multiple passes. The issue is that the knife will sometimes stray away from the straightedge and follow the grain. A veneer saw will not do that since it cuts through the grain instead of following it. It definitely works better.
MIMF Staff
Gilbert Fredrickson

Thanks, Barry. I'll let you know how it works out.
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

You may still need a few passes but like Barry said it won't follow the grain like a knife.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Make sure you have a soft board underneath so you don't dull your saw when you cut through the veneer.
MIMF Staff
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Gilbert Fredrickson wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:19 pm I've been using a razor knife to cut veneer strips for purfling. It works okay when I carefully make multiple passes. Is a veneer saw a better tool to use for this. The veneers are usually stacks of 0.010 and 0.020 dyed maple. Thanks.
If you are stacking veneers you might want to use a half moon blade mounted on an oscillating tool.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Yes. I use a really low angle when I pull the blade across the veneer. A curved blade would definitely improve the cut edges of the purfling strips. Thanks.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”