Sanding pad reconstruction

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Clay Schaeffer

Sanding pad reconstruction

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

You have to love urethane foams - the kind that self destruct over time. I've had that happen on a Makita planer I own and the sanding pads for my PC sanders. I ordered some new pads for my sanders, but decided to see if I could "rebuild" the old ones. I didn't want to do the "six million dollar man" thing to them, but if I could put something together relatively easily and cheaply it might be worth the effort.
The first thing I did was remove the old foam and glue residue from the fiberglas backer. Then I cut some foam discs out of the floor mats we know and love. I used a large HF hole saw, and a smaller Vermont American hole saw to create the pad. It's not quite 5 inches - but close enough. I cut out the recess in the pad with a pocket knife to allow the reinforcement plate and rivets to recess into the pad. I glued the pad onto the backing with weldwood contact cement. I left one pad as a PSA type, on another one I glued an old mylar micron hookit disc to the face. Hookit is the opposite of hook and loop, so it effectively makes a hook and loop pad. I will glue a hook and loop disc to the last one to make a Hookit pad.
3 out of the 4 rebuilt pads worked O.K., but one made the sander run rough and noisy - maybe a balance thing. I'm happy enough with the results.
Attachments
sand pad res.jpg
sand pad res 2.jpg
sand pad res 3.jpg
sand pad res 4.jpg
sand pad res 4.jpg (110.3 KiB) Viewed 4064 times
Bob Francis

Re: Sanding pad reconstruction

Post by Bob Francis »

75% success is as good as chip manufacturers hope for.
Clever!

Return to “Tools and Jigs”