Replacing bandsaw tires on Delta 14".

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
David King

Replacing bandsaw tires on Delta 14".

Post by David King »

My old urethane Sulphur Grove bandsaw tires suddenly started walking out from under the blade and causing a smokey ruckus after 20+ years of service. I was surprised to see that they had become all stretched out and had to be replaced. The only ones available locally were from Jet (PN 100025) and the price was high but I didn't have a choice. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they were precision cast tires rather than the usual urethane band with a joint that bumps ever so slightly as it goes around. These Jet tires are also twice as thick as the former which moves the blade over a smidgen in the guides. Getting them on the wheels is a bit of a struggle until you firmly clamp the tire onto part of the wheel and then work your way around with the strength you can muster. The result is a firm, tight-fitting cushion that runs true and should last a long while even under maximum tension.
Chuck Tweedy

Re: Replacing bandsaw tires on Delta 14".

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

I replaced my Grizzly 17" tires a couple years ago with Sulphur Grove orange urethane tires, and DANG that was hard to do!
My experience was virtually identical to yours, I would only need to find-replace brands in your text and it would be spot-on.
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Marshall Dixon

Re: Replacing bandsaw tires on Delta 14".

Post by Marshall Dixon »

I replaced the tires on my 14" Rockwell/Delta Several years ago with some urethane ones from Grizzly. As I recall, instructions were to heat the tires in 160°F water prior to installation.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”