Squeegee for epoxy

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.

Squeegee for epoxy

Postby Steve Sawyer » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:42 pm

This tool has turned out to be just about perfect for spreading epoxy for grain-filling:

4020_sili_glue_kit_5_300.jpg
4020_sili_glue_kit_5_300.jpg (23.56 KiB) Viewed 426 times

It's called a Sili-Comb, and comes in a set with several other silicone glue applicators that are also real handy to have around. I don't have any single glue-spreading tool, but switch between these silicone tools, brayers (the rollers for applying ink to carved linoleum-blocks for printing) , closed-cell foam rollers for spreading veneer glue, popsicle sticks, toothpicks, etc. etc.

Anyway, I used a conventional squeegee that I hacked into a smaller, 3" width for spreading epoxy, but this is actually much easier to handle.
==Steve==
Steve Sawyer

Re: Squeegee for epoxy

Postby Peter Wilcox » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:19 pm

I use old credit (or AARP :D ) cards for epoxy, and a toothed credit card (made in about 15 seconds with a bandsaw) for spreading glue over surfaces. Works for me, and the price is right.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Peter Wilcox

Postby Steve Sawyer » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:50 pm

Peter Wilcox wrote:I use old credit (or AARP :D ) cards for epoxy, and a toothed credit card (made in about 15 seconds with a bandsaw) for spreading glue over surfaces. Works for me, and the price is right.

I hoard "credit cards" (key cards from hotels, emptied gas & gift cards etc.) and find dozens of uses for them, but find them too aggressive for spreading epoxy.

OTOH cheap sheet metal mastic spreaders from the hardware store w/ 3/32" tooth spacing are perfect for some glue spreading, especially for veneering.
==Steve==
Steve Sawyer

Postby Gordon Bellerose » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:28 pm

I use different squeegies for different parts of the guitar.
I have 2 short (I cut down 2 - 8 inch to about 3 inch) for the sides and cutouts.
One I trimmed to a convex shape, the other I trimmed to a concave shape.
Then I have another longer 10 inch for the flat surfaces.
As long as I use alcohol to clean them after use, they last for a long time.

I even use my gloved hands on certain portions, especially where runs are possible on the sides, just to clean up at the end of application.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Gordon Bellerose

Return to Tools and Jigs