Rasps on sale @ StewMac

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Steve Sawyer

Rasps on sale @ StewMac

Post by Steve Sawyer »

I once had the pleasure of using an Auriou rasp. They run about twice what these Dragon rasps cost, and IMO don't cut a bit better. I got the large fine (4152?) a couple of years ago and would not part with it.

Absolutely fabulous. Highly recommended.

Unfortunately, these seem to have crept up quite a bit, or I bought mine when they were on sale, but I just ordered a double-radius fine as it will come in handy for my current build.

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/T ... _Rasp.html
==Steve==
Mark Fogleman

Re: Rasps on sale @ StewMac

Post by Mark Fogleman »

Japanese Uo Chikyu Nut files also a good deal. Set of 8 for $65
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Uo-Chi ... RweeG3u4j0
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

I have this set: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... =UTF8&th=1

I'm just a hobbyist so can't justify expensive tools. The price is right, they cut fast and smooth, and certainly fill my needs.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Peter Wilcox wrote:I have this set: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... =UTF8&th=1

I'm just a hobbyist so can't justify expensive tools. The price is right, they cut fast and smooth, and certainly fill my needs.
Those look to be a great value, Peter!

I too am just a hobbyist, but having been a woodworker for over 40 years, I've finally learned my lesson re quality tools, having spent way too much on tools that get "upgraded" when I discover their limitations. As your example shows though, quality doesn't always have to mean expensive. I have several (non-woodworking) tools from Harbor Freight that have served me well.
==Steve==
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

I have these from Lee Vallay.
They are not the cheapest, but they are WAY less expensive than the Ariou rasps.
They work very nicely.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... at=1,42524
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Gordon Bellerose wrote:I have these from Lee Vallay.
They are not the cheapest, but they are WAY less expensive than the Ariou rasps.
They work very nicely.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... at=1,42524
Those look nice.

I should mention too the large half-round Dragon rasps, because of their length, the flat side is really good at keeping the shaft straight when carving a neck.
==Steve==
David King

Post by David King »

If you have older rasps that could use a sharpening then Boggs Tool in LA has their incredible rasp sharpening service. They also sell new pre-honed Nicholson #49 and #50 (fine) furniture rasps that can take to endgrain wenge like it was butter. (800) 547-5244
14100 ORANGE AVENUE
PARAMOUNT CA 90723
https://boggstool.com
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

I sent every file I had to Boggs awhile back. They came back sharp as new, everything from needle files to big mill files. A few came back marked to indicate they would not be able to be sharpened again though.

I think it cost me about $45 for everything (about 2 dozen) including shipping both ways.

I didn't include the rasps I had at the time as they were almost new.
==Steve==
Christ Kacoyannakis

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

I have the Dragon, and some Ariou. I have never done a side by side comparison, but I always seem to reach for that Dragon. It does, however, tear the heck out of my thumb holding the tip (I have one of those wooden knobs from Lee Valley, but it comes loose a lot, and always seems to be in the way). When I am done filing, there seems to be some kind of chemical reaction between my thumb and the Dragon rasp, because an hour or so later, my thumb turns black, where I was holding the rasp.

I also have some of those Japanese razor files, and they are fantastic. Very clean cuts, and quick material removal.
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

Woodcraft sells a kevlar glove. I use one to hold the end of the rasp when I’m carving. It seems to prevent skin issues later.
David King

Post by David King »

A discussion of rasps wouldn't be complete without mentioning the giant, super-sharp rasps used by farriers to tidy up horses hooves. These are widely available at farm supply places and tack shops. Heller is the kick-ass brand though I had a True Value Hardware generic for years that's still great and cost me all of $17 back in the day. There is simply no faster way to shape a neck and the smooth side will give you a shiny smooth surface if you hold it at just the right angle. Gloves are an absolute must with these. I always use them inverted and pull them towards me for more control. I will say they do require some 'horsepower" a great upper body workout but just as fast as a router if you have a way too hold the neck firmly.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

I haven't been on for a while, but if you want "rasp nirvana"---I will highly recommend Pechar Rasps......crap! They're no longer being made!
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

David King wrote:A discussion of rasps wouldn't be complete without mentioning the giant, super-sharp rasps used by farriers to tidy up horses hooves. These are widely available at farm supply places and tack shops. Heller is the kick-ass brand though I had a True Value Hardware generic for years that's still great and cost me all of $17 back in the day. There is simply no faster way to shape a neck and the smooth side will give you a shiny smooth surface if you hold it at just the right angle. Gloves are an absolute must with these. I always use them inverted and pull them towards me for more control. I will say they do require some 'horsepower" a great upper body workout but just as fast as a router if you have a way too hold the neck firmly.
A useful tool. This one, a Nicholson, was $16 but the price has gone up.
Attachments
neck6.jpg
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Christ Kacoyannakis wrote:I also have some of those Japanese razor files, and they are fantastic. Very clean cuts, and quick material removal.
I'll second that recommendation. My schedule is to start with a spokeshave, then the Dragon rasp, then razor files (I have four in various sizes and shapes) then hard sanding blocks. The razor files are extremely "grabby" on something small, like a tenon, and need to be used with a feather touch, but on something more substantial like a neck you can rock'n'roll!
==Steve==
Randolph Rhett

Post by Randolph Rhett »

Ahh the Auriou... I usually make do with cheaper tools, but this is the jewel in my arsenal. Although they seem to have doubled in price since I last bought one. :( Still worth it.
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

i have an Ariou rasp, but truth be told i prefer my Nicholson #49. much more aggressive and the surface it leaves is about the same. not like i'm jumping to 220 paper after shaping a surface with any rasp
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
David King

Post by David King »

Another incredibly useful file in my collection is a curved tooth file that has square "safety" edges that allows you to clean up rabbets etc. I think these come to us from the autobody world where small dents were often filled with lead or bismuth and then the files were used to smooth off the lumps and fair the surface. I was hoping that the Japanese razor files would be similar but I find them very difficult to use as they all seem to chatter and are, for me, too small to control easily. These curved teeth have a slicing action which makes chattering nearly impossible. It also eliminates clogging and the surface is very smooth.

https://www.zoro.com/nicholson-flat-bab ... /G3714776/
Lots of other manufacturers too. Some of them are designed to snap into long, surform like handles and the files are flexible so they can wrap around curves easily. What's not to like?
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

+1 on curved tooth files - they are super useful for a wide variety of stuff.
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice

Return to “Tools and Jigs”